DB backend migration: empty database path issue

marioo

When I was performing migration from the default SQL Compact database to MS SQL, I did not specify database path in the migration wizard. I assumed that in this case MS SQL Server would use its default database location for storing databases. I made such assumption after reading your guide from here: http://www.plasticscm.com/infocenter/technical-articles/kb-how-to-configure-plastic-scm-with-sql-server.aspx. I thought it a better idea than specifying the path explicitly, because if somebody decides in the future to change the default database location in MS SQL Server, they may forget to change Plastic SCM configuration at once.

Unfortunately it turned out that when I specified an empty path in the wizard, the migration always failed in the very beginning. Having no other choice, I specified a valid path (a path valid from the point of view of the MS SQL Server's computer) and the migration went fine.

Are you sure that when no path is specified in the wizard (and later in the db.conf file), the default one is used by the SQL Server as you stated in the guide?

Hi,

By default, Plastic tries to create the databases in the server folder (C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\server\).

If you are using a different box to install SQL Server, you will need to indicate a database path in the "C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM4\server\db.conf" file or in the migrating wizard.   Is it your case?

Regards,

Carlos

[...] I've introduced DatabasePath, which tells SQL Server the location to place the data and log files for Plastic SCM repositories. If you don't specify, SQL Server will use its default location.

Hi,

This is more or less what I was asking about :). However, I assumed that when you don't specify any database path, the SQL Server's default one is used. Imagine a situation when the SQL Server is installed on a different computer than Plastic SCM - the local path is a bad idea in that case.

The problem is that when you don't specify a valid path in the migration wizard (which is later saved in the db.conf file), Plastic SCM is unable to create databases (as far as MS SQL Server is concerned, because this is the one I tested myself). PlasticSCM makes an impression that it provides an invalid (empty or local) path to the MS SQL Server instead of letting it decide where to store the databases requested to be created. What do you think about it?

Thanks,
Mariusz.

OK, thanks for taking care of it.

However, let me point out the fact that the problem is not only in the migration wizard, but also in Plastic SCM server itself. If you specify an empty path in the db.conf, you won't be able to create a new repository using Plastic SCM client.

Thanks for your support! :)

Archived