Unable to check in a solution

alexshuv

Hi,

I'm currently not able to check in a solution with Plastic SCM.

It gives an error, which is familiar to me from the past - ‘Cannot perform a partial checkin if there are pending merge links.’

The problem here is that I am trying to check in the entire solution and it has all the projects where changes were made.

So, are there any other circumstances that can cause this error to appear?

I did use a couple of those projects inside other solutions (test ones) that are not even under source control. Can that screw things up for Plastic? If it can, then is it possible to switch this 'feature' off?

Alex

Hi,

Are you trying to checkin a solution using Visual Studio plugin, right? 

There are two views in Visual Studio: "Pending Changes Under Solution" and "Pending Changes Under Workspace". The second one pulls in everything, but the first only looks at the visual studio controlled files. If you have doubts about what you are cheking in, you can open the Plastic GUI and perform the commit operation.

In case you are not using the VS plugin, It seems that you are having an old merge link, maybe from an unfinished merge. If you are using those projects in other solutions(Xlinks), that could be the issue.

You can use the Undo changes button to undo the merge links, be careful since you will also undo the changes you have in your workspace. Backup your changes, undo the changes shown in the pending changes view and finally merge from the branch you initially want to merge.

With Plastic SCM 4 the partial merges or partial merges commit operation are not allowed.  You have to accept all the merges proposed by the merge dialog, a subset of them is not allowed. In Plastic 4 the minimum unit is the changeset, so, in the merge operation you take the whole changeset or not. That’s why Plastic SCM 4 is so fast and the merge supported scenarios are so big, on the other hand we have this limitation.

Best regards,

Carlos

Well, there indeed was a merge, but it was finalized. I'm using some projects with checked-out files inside 2 other solutions, and those solutions are _not_ in source control. Those are "offline" solutions. It should not prevent checking in, if projects are being used also in "offline" solutions?

Hi,

You said the issue is using the plugin. Using Plastic GUI and undoing the changes shown in the pending changes view doesn´t work?

If you are using files under version control in other "offline" projects, and those files are modified, your Plastic project will detect the files are changed. Not sure if it´s exactly what you mean.

Regards,

Carlos

What is interesting, is that I was able to check it in, whether by sheer luck or after making a certain manipulation, that apparently did nothing and probably was unrelated.

First of all, I could not check the changes in the workspace view through the standalone GUI program either.

Then I read some of previous users' complaints about similar things, and went to the Branches view in the standalone program.

There, I right-clicked the branch and choose Merge from this branch... I think, it said there was 0 things to merge, but when I tried to check things again after doing that, I was able to check everything in. I haven't done anything with the items that I wanted to check in inbetween the unsuccessful and successful attempts, so I guess that could be a bug. One that doesn't seem to make any sense.

Archived