Database Backend Performance & Stability

Joe

I am currently evaluating Plastic SCM and really like it. My first tests were run with sqlite. I am now testing MySQL. My testing is very limited and you have a whole lot more experience with the database products, so I was wondering what your general observations are about the performance and stability of various backends?

More specifically, how does they scale on the lower end? At which point do the various choices really shine?

(I'm quite interested in this for other reasons; I am currently working on an application with lots of blob data, but relatively simple tables. Sqlite was my first choice, but Firebird still interests me as a possibility as does SQL Compact and other choices.)

Hi,

In your case, I would recommend you to use SQL Server or MySQL. Most of our big costumers are using those backends. SQL CE provides an easy, lightweight database option.  It will enable you to get started on projects quickly – without having to install a full database on your local development box. And SQLite is great for testing and prototyping, or for embedding in applications, but MySQL is worthy of (large scale) production environments.  MySQL has better options for performance tunning and can scale well.

If you decide finally to use MySQL, please check this guide to improve the performance as much as possible: http://www.plasticscm.com/infocenter/technical-articles/kb-how-to-fine-tune-mysql-performance-for-plastic-scm.aspx

Regards,

Carlos

Archived