Compare File contents instead of timestamps + Visual Studio

Xorcist

I have set plastic to compare file contents instead of time stamps when determining changed status, and it works completely fine if my files are edited using a simple text editor (in that if I modify a file a bunch of times but it ends up being identical to the latest revision in the repository it won't show up as changed). However when the files are edited via Visual Studio 2010 the files show up as changed, even if the two versions of the file are 100% identical. I've done a DIFF to confirm the file is exactly the same as the latest revision in my repository... so why does it show up in the list of pending changes?

Update: Ahaaa... it appears VS2010 it's doing a checkout on the file, so regardless of whether or not it has actually changed, it appears as changed. How do I prevent VS2010 from automatically checking the file out? And is there any benefit to having them automatically checked out? I mean I just end up checking in files that realistically have 0 physical changes, so I don't see a plus to this...

Hi,

Yes, Visual Studio performs a checkout when a file is edited, that´s the way the plugin works, but it shouldn´t be a problem with your workflow. For instance, If you perform a change in a file, then undo the change, and finally commit the file, you will see that a changeset is not created. Plastic detects that there is nothing to commit.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived