Install/configuration troubles on OS X

eloi

Downloaded PlasticSCM today for the first time, installed on OS X 10.8 :

- requires X server (not distributed with OS X, external XQuartz needs to be installed)

- installed client on client machine and server on server machine

- went to documentation, Quick Start to figure how to set up the server : found nothing

- looked at the forums to find some hints, tried 'sudo plasticsd start' in console -> nothing happens, no message, plasticd not running when listing processes

- tried 'sudo plasticd status' -> nothing, no output message

Well, I have seen better starts. Any ideas ? Thanks.

Hi, so I upgraded my Mac to 10.9, reinstalled plasticSCM and from the installer it looked like everything went fine. Tried running the client GUI, the process is stuck, nothing happens. Looking at the processes, I can see several mono processes taking 75% of the CPU. Ok, I will stick with my current source management software and check back in a few months if you guys have proper Mac support. 

Hello Eloi,

I'm sorry about hearing that.

We support both MacOSX releases, although I'll double check it.

- went to documentation, Quick Start to figure how to set up the server : found nothing

The server is configured while you are installing Plastic SCM, didn't you see the configuration wizard?

- looked at the forums to find some hints, tried 'sudo plasticsd start' in console -> nothing happens, no message, plasticd not running when listing processes

The server is automatically started by the installer, but if something is wrong maybe it couldn't start, did you see any error during the installation?

Hi, so I upgraded my Mac to 10.9, reinstalled plasticSCM and from the installer it looked like everything went fine. Tried running the client GUI, the process is stuck, nothing happens. Looking at the processes, I can see several mono processes taking 75% of the CPU. Ok, I will stick with my current source management software and check back in a few months if you guys have proper Mac support. 

Is it possible for you to enable the cm and plastic log at the client side to check if something is wrong with the installation? http://www.plasticscm.com/infocenter/technical-articles/kb-enabling-logging-for-plastic-scm-part-i.aspx

Are you having a custom mono installation in your machine?

Sorry for the inconveniences

Hi,  thanks for your reply,

The server is configured while you are installing Plastic SCM, didn't you see the configuration wizard?

The server is automatically started by the installer, but if something is wrong maybe it couldn't start, did you see any error during the installation?

when I installed on 10.9 I indeed saw this, from the installer perspective it seemed everything worked. But then I didn't see any Plastic process in the process list. Also there doesn't seem to be any information on how to start/stop the server on OS X, or just to check whether it is running. How do we do this ? Where are the logs generated on OS X (any doc ?)

Is it possible for you to enable the cm and plastic log at the client side to check if something is wrong with the installation? http://www.plasticsc...scm-part-i.aspx

As the page you mentioned says, I have put the sample plastic.log.conf where plastic.exe is. Then I ran "Plastic GUI client" and it just hangs. In fact whatever Plastic app I run, whether this is client config, server config or client GUI, they all hang. In the process list I can see mono processes adding up and taking 75% of the CPU.

Are you having a custom mono installation in your machine?

I do not have a custom mono installation on the machine as far as I know.

So it seems to be problem with the mono installation. I don't know if you are going to have time to test it or you dropped Plastic. If you have time you can try Downloading the latest Mono Framework:

Info -> http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:OSX

Download page -> http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

And then use it with Plastic, you will need to modify the "cm", "plastic", "plasticd", "clconfigureclient" and so on to get it working, but for a really fast try you can directly go for:

mono /Applications/PlasticSCM/client/plastic.exe

Where the "mono" is the one installed by you.

Hi, I have installed latest Mono for OS X and managed to run plastic.exe as you suggested below. So it seems the version of mono provided with the OS X package is not the right one. However I didn't go much farther as there is a number of scripts invovled to setup and start the server, and they refer to the installed version of mono.  

Ok Eloi,

so at least you are not having the CPU leak, right??

Updating the scrips takes 2-3 minutes and it's a one lifetime action. Sorry about you have to do it manually.

To manage the plastic scm server:

plasticsd start | stop | restart

To start the server in console mode:

mono plasticd.exe --console

You can even omit the scripts for your personal testing and directly:

server> mono plasticd.exe --console

client> mono plastic.exe --configure

client> mono plastic.exe

client> mono cm.exe

But as I told you the scripts are as simple as:

echo "mono plastic.exe" > plastic

echo "mono cm.exe" > cm

Yes I don't have the CPU issue anymore using the latest mono for OS X (3.2.4) and the apps do run. I also managed to start the server. The latter tries to write into the /Application/PlasticSCM folder which is discouraged on OS X and leads to errors such as:

log4net:ERROR [FileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file /Applications/PlasticSCM/server/query.log.txt. Access to the path "/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/query.log.txt" is denied.

log4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file /Applications/PlasticSCM/server/ChannelCall.log.txt. Access to the path "/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/ChannelCall.log.txt" is denied.

log4net:ERROR [FileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file /Applications/PlasticSCM/server/upgrade.log.txt. Access to the path "/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/upgrade.log.txt" is denied.

log4net:ERROR [RollingFileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file /Applications/PlasticSCM/server/plastic.server.log. Access to the path "/Applications/PlasticSCM/server/plastic.server.log" is denied.

Those get solved by starting the process as root though (or other privileged user).

Thanks for the help, I would suggest though you guys to revise the mono version distributed with the OS X package. Also having native OS X binaries would be welcome.

Archived