X-link merging failes

vehystrix

In the process of grouping the common files of several projects into shared repos using Xlinks, I ran into the following problem:

• I created the child branch General001 in my project repo
  • I moved 1 file from the General folder to the root folder
  • I deleted the General folder
  • I created a writeable Xlink in the General folder to the latest changeset on the main branch of the General repo
  • I created a writeable Xlink in the Libraries folder to the latest changeset on the main branch of the Libraries repo
  • I added 2 files to the General folder (now Xlinked to the General repo)
  • I added 2 files to the Libraries folder (now Xlinked to the Libraries repo)
  • I switched workspace back to my main branch
  • I merge from the General001 branch to the main branch

When performing the merge from the last step, I get an error relating to a partial checkin not being possible with pending merge links.

Now I have selected every pending change to be included, and I keep getting this error.

See attached screenshot of the error

post-1818-0-21434700-1384769802_thumb.png

Hi,

Xlink is a directory entry in your repository tree that points to another directory in a different repository. 

- Main branch: You have a folder called "General" 

- General001 branch: You have a Xlink entry called "General" as well. Not sure why you used the same name.

If you create the Xlink using a different name, the issue shouldn´t happen. You can also rename the "General" folder in your main branch.

Regards,

Carlos

According to this post, deleting the folder General in the branch and then adding a xlink on that path should work:

http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/1022-xlink-report/

Also, I have successfully deleted several folders in other projects already and replaced them with xlinks of the same name. All in child branches which were then merged into the main branch.

I doubt that this is the problem here.

The obvious solution would be to delete the branch and do all the actions on the main branch, but that defeats the purpose of branching, and I prefer to keep my main branch as being able to compile at all times (which is impossible during the steps outlined above because of missing files due to the deletes)

Archived