How to switch off detailed merge history in diff view?

marioo

Hello!

A couple of years ago you introduced a detailed merge history in diff view. Previously the diff view was only a plain list divided only into the Changed, Added, Deleted and Moved sections. After then the diff view started displaying files under extra sub-nodes which indicated consecutive merges a file underwent. Lets call this 'the detailed merge history'.

I also remember that the detailed merge history had to be switched on at server side using command line, but I can't find the command for it. If I remember correctly, detailed merge history was available for all branches created after running the command. However, I don't remember any details concerning it. Probably the command had to be run on existing repos, but new ones were already prepared for the detailed view, I don't remember.

Now the question :-). If you know what command I mean, could you please tell me whether this feature can be switched off in any way? I would just love a plain list of files in diff view :-).

Thank you!

Hi Mario!

Yes, I guess you are talking about this: http://blog.plasticscm.com/2013/11/plastic-scm-release-5044505-including.html, right?

There's no way to disable the extra merge information :( We don't have a preference for that.

I'm afraid the merge tracking is stored inside a table, this table is inside the repository database. It's unsafe deleting this table, not recommended at all.

BTW, What are you don't liking about the merge info? 

Hi Manu!

Thanks for a quick response. Yes, this is the feature I mean :-). The thing is that we use a legacy server 5.4.16.619, because we stayed with the free license and MS SQL server that was available for free use until that version. However, users always install the latest client. Therefore the problem I'm describing below might stem from that configuration, and if so, it will have to be ignored. But let me explain the case in details first.

I create a branch from /main and check my consecutive changes in. Then some important changes, which I need, appear on /main, so I want to update my branch. I create another branch from the last changeset on /main and merge my previous branch into it. Now I have the latest code with all my changes included.

I continue working and modify a file that I previously modified in the first branch. After checking it in, the diff view of the second branch starts showing that file twice, both next to each other (there are no merge details nodes). One of these files contains changes made in the first branch, and the other - the changes made in the second branch. I'm not sure, however, what would be presented when the latest server was used. Would the file still be displayed there twice, but under two separate merge info subnodes, or once only?

The thing is that code reviews are an important matter in our company, and one of us verifies changes of others before every merge into /main. In mentioned scenario the person sees two files and does not know what changes were actually made. He just wants the base of the very first branch compared to the last changeset in the very last branch, no intermediate changes. Here's the problem.

As a workaround we create a third branch from /main and merge the second branch into it. Then create a code review for the third branch. Thanks to that all files are listed there only once, as expected.

But please, don't get me wrong. The issue may be considered 'imaginary' if it stems from the fact that we use a legacy server. If there is no such issue when the latest server is used, could you please let me know? If so, then please accept my apologies for wasting your time, because in such case there is nothing to fix or change for you.

Thank you for your support!

Archived