Visual Studio's Detect External Changes not working with the Plastic Plugin

jason.mansfield

My team has been having an issue where (from the plugin):

1. You start on a branch that contains file X

2. You switch to another branch where file X has been deleted

3. Visual Studio fails to detect that the .csproj file has been changed, as as such, thinks that file X should still exist, still shows it in Solution Explorer, and shows an error if you try to open it from there.

If you complete steps 1 and 2 from within the external Plastic client, then Visual Studio's normal external change detection kicks in just fine and it prompts you to reload the project, after which Solution Explorer no longer shows file X.

My initial suspicion is that for some reason, changes made to the filesystem from within the plugin don't trigger visual studio's external change detection mechanism because they're somehow technically coming from "within the IDE".

We're on the latest version of both the plastic server and client. (Upgraded tonight in hopes of resolving the issue)

This has been a pretty big problem for us, and has resulted in a number of bad checkins where we'll go for some time with the wrong .csproj file in memory. It seems like a pretty big problem, so I was surprised that I didn't find anything about it on the forums. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately I can't reproduce what you said, we use the VS package in our daily basis and everything seems to work fine.

Do you have bot projects and solution files binded with Plastic? You can review it in the File menu change revision control panel.

• 3 weeks later...

Manu - thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delayed response, I thought the forum would email me when there were new posts on my thread, guess not!

Yes, I have everything bound, all of our projects as well as the solution. This actually seems to be affecting every member of our 4 person team, which makes me wonder if there's something about either the project, the solution, or this particular repository that's causing the issue.

Is there any diagnostic data I can gather that would help?

• 1 month later...

Archived