Database error trying to create repo in new Plastic install

I've installed Plastic v6.0.16.1395 on a Windows 10 VM running on Mac - Accepted the default settings (including to use Jet back-end) and installation all went fine.

I've started up the Plastic client, gone to create first repo, and I get an error which - strangely - references the Firebird backend: "...server wasn't able to open a connection to the database ... Error: The type initializer for 'FirebirdSql.Data.Common.Charset" threw an exception."

I had an old installer on another machine for v6.0.16.1307 which I've installed successfully on another Windows 10 machine - so I uninstalled 1395, then installed 1307, but with the same result.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Steve.

Additional info: I'm guessing this issue may be related to running Windows in a VM - if I change the server name from the suggested "Ghost.local:8087" to "localhost:8087", the repo is created successfully. But I still cannot progress any further without hitting the same database error.

Plastic error.png

Ummmmm for some reason it's switching to Firebird... 

Plase do the following:

1) Stop the Plastic SCM server service.

2) Create an empty "c:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\server\jet.conf" file.

3) Restart the Plastic SCM server service.

Check if it starts working. Finally, send me your "c:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\server\plastic.debug.log.txt" file please.

The log file is not even having a single error and seems to be successfully using jet as the DB backend.

Are you maybe targeting a different server? A local one? You mentioned the problem was with a Mac server (didn't realize it before):

55 minutes ago, steveblomeley said:

I've installed Plastic v6.0.16.1395 on a Windows 10 VM running on Mac

But your screenshot shows a windows Plastic SCM error screen mentioning a Ghost.local server.

OK, I think we've resolved this now - It seems to have been an issue related to the fact that we installed Plastic in a Windows VM, which is running in OS-X which in turn has it's own Plastic installation.

So, I un-installed Plastic from the Mac - the error on the VM then changed to "server is actively refusing connection on 8087". So I re-started the Plastic client config - it seems the client config had detected the wrong server (the one running on the underlying Mac?), so I changed the server to localhost:8087, then restarted the Plastic client, and all seems to work as expected now (i.e. I can create new repos and workspaces). Phew.

Still baffled as to why this would ever have resulted in the database error message!

Thanks for your time & help Manu,

Steve.

OK, not a good day to install plastic... :-(

Now that I can start the plastic client on my fresh installation, I get a "deactivated license" error.

So in the attached screen-shot you can see:
-  In the background, the Plastic client says user steve@localhost:8087 is inactive
-  In the foreground, the Plastic client config tool says user steve@localhost:8087 "credentials checked ok"

All of the "cm" commands to list users, licenses, etc (like "cm au steve") give the same "deactivated license" error for user steve.

Any ideas?

Plastic user error.PNG

Hello Steve,

ok so your windows client was connecting with your MacOs server, I guess it was having a profile to work with it or a wrong main configuration. 

Regarding your deactivated user error, can you try to run "cm au steve"?

I'm wondering why do you have it deactivated... did you do it?  Can you give me the "cm li" command output?

Hi Manu,

No, I haven't touched the user configuration, just followed the default installation path. All of the "cm" commands related to users / licensing gave me the same error message regarding the user "steve" being deactivated - so I couldn't use "cm au" to activate the user.

I reverted to the original trial license file (instead of using my official license file downloaded from Plastic) and this works OK. This installation is just to demo Plastic to the guys in the office (trying to persuade them to  switch to Plastic) so this will work as a solution - at least for the next few days.

Thanks again for your time today!

Steve.

I think there's a problem with the license you removed.

The license file just exposes license spots but if a user is deactivated or activated is stored inside the DB.

The "cm li" will give info about the license used and the active/incative users, it will help if you can post both results, one using the trial license and another with the one you removed.

We'll be here just in case you need a different or bigger temporal license to fix it.

Archived