Update RSS Trigger on Linux Server

ironbelly

I just want to make sure I understand the right way to go about doing this before investing a bunch of time potentially going on a wild goose chase.   Currently we are running a Plastic 6 server on Ubuntu 14.04 linux but if I am to understand the instructions correctly it isn't the plastic server that initiates these triggers at all, it's the client, is that correct?  

What I want to do is monitor a specific repo, and anytime anyone checks something in, it will update an RSS feed.  What is the best way to set this up?  Should I install and setup a client on the server, create a read-only user who only can access the repo in question and then create the ruby scripts?  What if I want to monitor a couple repos?

Hello IronBelly,

the Checkin trigger execution takes place at the Plastic SCM server (https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/triggers/plastic-scm-version-control-triggers-guide.shtml#Checkin).

The Checkin operation is executed by the Plastic SCM client but resolved by the Server and it's the server the one in charge of running the trigger scripts. Make sure the ruby environment is available for the system user running the Plastic SCM Server daemon (probably root).

In order to monitor several repos, you have multiple options, you can use the filter parameter: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/triggers/plastic-scm-version-control-triggers-guide.shtml#C4_Operations_Create, or you can use the "PLASTIC_CHANGESET" environment variable in order to get the repository and customize the trigger behavior based on it.

Hope it helps!

Almost two years ago I wrote a detailed blogpost to achieve something similar: Integrating Plastic SCM with Google Cloud Messaging. Instead of updating a RSS feed, this blogpost describes how to send a push notification to an Android device. The trigger code was generic enough so that the notification could be sent under different scenarios: a branch was created, a checkin had been done... I think it can be a good starting point for you!

Archived