Step-by-step tutorial failure

Hello,

I was about to try PlasticSCM so i started with the step by step tutorial.

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/labs/main.shtml

Under "Create a repository" it says "At this point, we need to create an empty repository to work with the codebase we just uncompressed."

What codebase? I haven't seen any info about uncompressing anything. Have i missed something?

Later, under "Create a workspace" it says "Once the repository is created, we need to create a workspace in the location where you uncompressed the files (remember, in this scenario it was C:\Users\maria\dokan_workspace)."

What...? What is it talking about?

Where should i start? 'Cause obviously, not at the beginning of the step by step tutorial.

Thank you in advance!

vS

Hi @vonSchlank,

1 hour ago, vonSchlank said:

Under "Create a repository" it says "At this point, we need to create an empty repository to work with the codebase we just uncompressed."

What codebase? I haven't seen any info about uncompressing anything. Have i missed something?

I'm not sure why the doc is saying that as a few lines below it populates the repository using a github repository...

Later, under "Create a workspace" it says "Once the repository is created, we need to create a workspace in the location where you uncompressed the files (remember, in this scenario it was C:\Users\maria\dokan_workspace)."

Yep, again... not sure why it's referencing a certain path that should contain source code... It's going to be downloaded from github later...

I think you can continue committing that zipped content.

I tried. If that would be the case, there wont be a problem. But i stuck on other steps.

For example, when it says "Go to the Branch Explorer view and refresh it. Then you'll see a new changeset" i see only something like "No data found ..." (i don't remember).

I don't know, what is backyard:8087. (How would i?) But i'm sure it's not working for me.

And what "In this scenario (and most likely yours too), I'm using my local server running on my laptop" means? He means i'm using a server from his laptop? (ok, i know, it's a really bad joke... :)) But that's a failed assumption. My scenario is different: i need a step by step tutorial and that one is closer to a "pros to pros".

A step by step tutorial should leave no questions. This one does. Big time. (Again, as i mentioned, i'm a total noob to this area.)

So, sad as this, i'm unable to accomplish that tutorial. :-/ 

Hi!

Then you'll see a new changeset" i see only something like "No data found ..." (i don't remember).

Something like this?

image.png

You should be able to increase the date filter by clicking the "Options" button:

image.png

Set the Initial date to something big enough, 2014 for example. You should see something after applying the new date.

And what "In this scenario (and most likely yours too), I'm using my local server running on my laptop" means? He means i'm using a server from his laptop? (ok, i know, it's a really bad joke... :)) But that's a failed assumption. My scenario is different: i need a step by step tutorial and that one is closer to a "pros to pros".

You are talking about this one right? It says: "I'm using my local server running on my laptop, so these are the values that I will enter: " So you will need to use your machine name or just "localhost". 8087 is the default port where the local server is listening. Something like this "localhost:8087" will work. (or just "local" if you are using the cloud edition).

image.png

Please don't hesitate to come back if you have more questions I'll take care to improve the tutorial based on your feedback.

Best,

Manu.

11 minutes ago, manu said:

Hi!

Something like this?

image.png

You should be able to increase the date filter by clicking the "Options" button:

image.png

Set the Initial date to something big enough, 2014 for example. You should see something after applying the new date.

You are talking about this one right? It says: "I'm using my local server running on my laptop, so these are the values that I will enter: " So you will need to use your machine name or just "localhost". 8087 is the default port where the local server is listening. Something like this "localhost:8087" will work. (or just "local" if you are using the cloud edition).

image.png

Please don't hesitate to come back if you have more questions I'll take care to improve the tutorial based on your feedback.

Best,

Manu.

Thanks a lot for your help, i really appreciate it! I will give it a shot as soon as i can.

Archived