Conflict when merging using XLink

budyn

I have a question about merge and conflict with XLink. I would like to explain why after merge conflict exists.

The problem/description:

I have two repositories “TestPB” and “TestPB1”. The “TestPB” repository has XLink for the “TestPB1”.

I have two branches to which the same change is added.

image.png.ae29c1662ca60d732733b6d27e5e9094.png

Next updates the XLinki in the “TestPB” repository and merges like this:

image.png.403e19d01376edf0653dc9db7e526a45.png

In this case, after the merge there is a conflict for XLink.

image.png.5e16dbeab62c6391beec2166c342b23d.png

image.png.a06bbb164bc2cf2c995ed97d0736be23.png 

I would expect that there will be no conflict because start and end changeset are the same, additionally the change (cs:23) was add in two branches - “TestPB1" repository. I am asking for help in explaining the merger or how to solve the problem for automatically merge

Hi,

Let me share with the team. We may be able handle this scenario in a better way. But it sounds like a very corner case scenario, right? Is it common in your workflow having different branches pointing to the same Xlinked changeset and then run a merge between them? 

Regards,

Carlos.

Yes, something like that.
I explain this on very simple example.
I have two project (TestPB and TestPB1) and I have two versions (main and special version - second "main" branch) and I do this in Plastic GUI.
Change in main version (TestPB or TestPB1) must add to special version, so I make the steps:
1.Add change to main TestPB1
2.Update Xlink in main TestPB
2.Add changes to special TestPB1
3.Update Xlink in special TestPB (I update from main TestPB because in repository TestPB may add other change)

I think, I have answer for my problem. When I update Xlink, I do not remove automatically added branch expansion rules.

P.S.
I think, I must learn about branch expansion rules for xlink :)

Hi, the goal is to configure your expansion rules, so when you perform a change in the "TestPB" repo, the changeset is propagated to the "TestPB1" in your desired branch.

It shouldn't be necessary to manually update the Xlink. If the expansion rules are properly configured, the Xlink target will be automatically updated to the last changeset of the Xlinked branch.

https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/xlinks/plastic-scm-version-control-xlinks-guide.shtml

Best regards,

Carlos.

Archived