Switched to SSL, no have trouble connecting

nikhilhs

I have a few problems since switching to SSL.

1) With most requests, I get the error message "The server stopped the handshake".

In the server logs, I see the following error messages:

2014-01-23 22:50:28,475 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - Tcp transport error. ReceiveMessageStatus Connection closed
2014-01-23 22:50:28,475 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - conn       64 Tcp transport error. Connection closed
2014-01-23 22:50:28,553 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - Tcp transport error. ReceiveMessageStatus Connection closed
2014-01-23 22:50:28,553 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - conn       84 Tcp transport error. Connection closed

The count is much lower than number of error messages I've received.  I hope it's just the log not being flushed yet.

2) When I try an update, I get the error message "The authentication or decryption has failed.: servername:8087".  I would expect it to, because ssl is listening on port 8088, and in both the repository list and workspaces, it says it's hitting 8088.  I've run the client configuration tool and that says it's been set to 8088.  Where could it be getting 8087 from?

3) I'm using the auto generated ssl-certificate.pfx.  I'd like to add it to the computer itself, but that requires a certificate password.  How do I find the password for the certificate?

Thank you.

-Nick

Hi Nick!

2014-01-23 22:50:28,475 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - Tcp transport error. ReceiveMessageStatus Connection closed

2014-01-23 22:50:28,475 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - conn       64 Tcp transport error. Connection closed
2014-01-23 22:50:28,553 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - Tcp transport error. ReceiveMessageStatus Connection closed
2014-01-23 22:50:28,553 (null) NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM at (null) INFO  Channel - conn       84 Tcp transport error. Connection closed

Don't worry about this one, when the client connection is closed the log writes that message, but it's not an actual error... Check the line value... INFO.

2) When I try an update, I get the error message "The authentication or decryption has failed.: servername:8087".  I would expect it to, because ssl is listening on port 8088, and in both the repository list and workspaces, it says it's hitting 8088.  I've run the client configuration tool and that says it's been set to 8088.  Where could it be getting 8087 from?

I guess you are trying to reuse a workspace that was already using the 8087 server port. Try creating a new workspace or perform the following:

1) Open the repositories view.

2) Check the repo using the 8088 port.

3) Right click -> Open branch explorer.

4) Right click the main branch -> Switch workspace to this branch.

That should fix the workspace metadata that is still working with 8087.

3) I'm using the auto generated ssl-certificate.pfx.  I'd like to add it to the computer itself, but that requires a certificate password.  How do I find the password for the certificate?

In that case it worth to create your own certificate and use your internal password (much more secure)

Ok, I created a new workspace and that worked.

Now onto the ssl.  I ran the following commands to create the cert

makecert -n "CN=hephaestus" -r -sv hephaestus.pvk hephaestus.cer

pvk2pfx -pvk hepaestus.pvk -spc hephaestus.cer -pfx hephaestus.pfx -pi mypassword

I installed it in both my server and client.  Now I get the error

"Unable to write data to the transport connection: An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine.: localhost:8088 Plastic client can't continue and will be closed."

This happens from both the server and the client.

Archived