Why does Plastic use outdated versions of embedded DB backends?

Andy22

Hi,

just wondering why plastic links and ships with FirebirdDB/SQlite that are quite old?

fbembed.dll is 2.1.2 vs latest is 2.5.2

FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.dll is 2.5.0 vs latest 4.1.0.0

System.Data.SQLite.dll is 1.0.65 vs latest 1.0.90.

Is this some compatibility problem or those where simply not updated?

Thx Andy

PS: The System.Data.SQLite.dll is newer on the .net4 release compared to the .net2 version, 1.0.88 vs 1.0.90.

Hi,

Embedded databases are mostly for tests or small projects. Probably the dlls are not updates to the last version (I will review it). Anyway, for production environments, I we recommend MySQL or SQL Server.

Regards,

Carlos

Thx, but if u check my speed review http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/2097-plastic5-slow-lan-performance/#entry13455, u will notice that MySQL was bloody slow in this test environment, compared to other backends.

SQL Server was fine, but the Express edition has a 10GB limit, so actually Firebird or SQLite Embedded where the only options left that made sense. Firebird was attractive, since u could switch from embedded to server quite easy, the only oddity was a strange "hickup" at the end of upload operations, also noted in my review.

I hoped that maybe with updated .net4 bindings for Firebird (FirebirdSql.Data.FirebirdClient.dll), those might be gone?

Thx Andy

Archived