Binary file delta ?

FpffUVROGDdATCp

Hi FpffUVROGDdATCp,

Yes, I greatly appreciate when our forum users take the time to show up as real persons, instead of hiding names. We have to prioritize answers, and we normally skip handles with weird names since they tend to be spam.

That being said: we never ended implementing binary deltas. It has been in the backlog for a long time but, well, we always have more important things in the list, it seems. So, we still split big files in 4MB chunks and store these separately.

What is your actual concern with this?

Thanks!

pablo

3 hours ago, psantosl said:

What is your actual concern with this?

My whole repo mostly consists from binary files.  Most of them have very small delta . So basically if i understand right it works following way:

for example for 100mb file.

1) 100 mb file splitted on chunks which every 4 mb size ( so 25 chunks in total)

2) on second step i do one byte change  in this file . SCM search what chunk contain my change. .SCM store previous 4mb chunk and create a new 4mb chunk with change.

So for me if i do 100 changes which in reality changed only 100 bytes . It will cost on repo storage 400megabytes .

Am i right ? It is not a request to change something. I just ask questions for better understanding internals and what i have to expect.

3 hours ago, psantosl said:

Yes, I greatly appreciate when our forum users take the time to show up as real persons, instead of hiding names. We have to prioritize answers, and we normally skip handles with weird names since they tend to be spam.

It is ok. Not worry about me. Can you please tell me any name which will be fine for you. I will be happy to set it.

I also have one more question.

Is any way to disable detection pending changes like "Date modified". Because sometimes files between reversions identical but modification date changed. And this files sit in pending changes even if were no real changes.