Nested working folders

I am evaluating Plastic and am trying to create repositories/workspaces for our existing codebase. At the top level of our current repository we have on the order of 100 folders, most of which are libraries/utilities shared by all of our products. Also at the top level we have a dozen or so product specific folders (for better or worse peers of the library/utility folders). I would like to have one repository with all of the core libraries and utilities and then a different repository for each product. I created a repository called 'core' and checked in all the libraries/utilties. I check this out to c:\core for instance. Then I attempt to add a product. Our current build etc. requires this to be in c:\core\Product1 for instance. I copied the files into c:\core\Product1 but when I try to create a repository/workspace for this folder it says workspace core (c:\core) already exists. Does Plastic support nested working folders?

Thanks

Dave Goughnour

Hi,

If you want to share different projects, the solution is using Xlinks.

We recommend to make one Plastic repository per project. If you need to share these projects, you can link them using Xlinks. Please check our guide: http://plasticscm.com/guides/xlinks/main.shtml

If something is not clear, let us know, but I think that this is the best solution for you.

Regards,

Carlos

Thanks Carlos

I had already started working with Xlinks and am pretty sure I can make this work. It is a bit cumbersome due to the way we have our code structured (i.e. a project will contain a lot more Xlinks than I would like) but I can make it work and over time migrate our code base to something that works more cleanly.

Thanks again

Dave

Archived