Installation problem OSX Mavericks

Hi,

We are about to evaluate Plastic and are having problems installing it on a fresh copy of OSX Mavericks (10.9.0) using the installer "PlasticSCM-5.0.44.547-osx-installer".

During the config wizard at the end of installation we get an error during startup (I presume) in a dialog. It contains (among other things) errors such as:

"/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 12: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 14: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 16: xmodmap: command not found

/Applications/PlasticSCM/config/mono_setup: line 18: xmodmap: command not found"

I found an earlier thread where you recommended to attempt to start the server using your version of Mono, but this fails as well:

../mono/bin/mono plasticd.exe --console

** (plasticd.exe:939): CRITICAL **: _wapi_shm_file_open: shared file [/123/.wapi/shared_data-MServe.local-Darwin-x86_64-312-12-0] open error: Permission denied

** (plasticd.exe:939): CRITICAL **: _wapi_shm_attach: shared file [/123/.wapi/shared_data-MServe.local-Darwin-x86_64-312-12-0] open error
ERROR:shared.c:523:shm_semaphores_init: assertion failed: (tmp_shared != NULL)

Before we spend more time trouble shooting I would appreciate your advice!

Another question, we were not prompted for the installation directory - it installed into Applications by default. We would really like to store the repository and related information on an encrypted disk image. Will this location be possible to specify when configuring the server / setting up the server repository?

Thanks in advance!

After enabling root on the machine and disabling the default sandboxing, the server appears to have installed correctly without errors. 

HOWEVER, the graphical tools still do not work. I have installed XQuartz and the config tools ran during installation, but when trying to launch them later or attempting to launch the SCM GUI tool, Mono does show up in the activity monitor but the GUI app hangs. Nothing happens at all and I am forced to force quit the app.

All in all, I must say that Plastic does not seem to be a suitable solution for OSX. I would be happy to be proven wrong but after this experience and a few hours of trouble shooting it does not instill much confidence as a solution to trust with our project.

Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Well, issues solved. I think.

It is clear that the Plastic SCM installer has permissions problems on OSX. This is not mentioned in the docs, nor very easy to figure out without a bit of unix experience. Things to consider when installing on OSX:

1. Root must be enabled. Not doing this causes installation errors.

2. The .wapi directory created in the user space must have r/w access allowed to the logged in user (I just chmod 777, not safe perhaps but worked).

If #2 above is not done, none of the GUI apps will work and you have to su to run the server and commands in terminal.

I am still a bit worried about all of this though. Questions that rise:

1. Why is this not handled by the installer?

2. Why is it not mentioned in the documentation? Parts of these errors have been experienced by other users (.wapi permissions were mentioned in another thread with the same problems)

3. Why have no one replied to the support requests? Or the forum post? Granted, I posted late last night. But now it is 10 am so surely our email should have been responded to at this point. From the support page "We never close". Ok, this might be tough - BUT there are a few other posts here that are days old without a response.

So, why should we trust our version control with Plastic after this? Perforce looks pretty tempting at this point. :-/

Thanks in advance for any official reply.

Hi @sprocket,

I´ve answered you using our support tool, but I would like also to update this post.

We try to review the posts as much as possible to help the Plastic community, but if you are evaluating the tool the support email is the fastest way. This email is available for companies that have bought the support package, but also for the companies that are evaluating our product. We always try to answer in minutes.

Reviewing your post, you have finally fixed the installation issues, right?

I agree that our MAC support could be better, that´s the reason why we are hardly working to develop the native MAC GUI.  I think that the native GUI will help MAC users to work with Plastic in a more comfortable way. Actually, the native MAC and Linux GUIs are two of the most important tasks in our roadmap. Anyway, we will try to improve the documentation with your feedback. 

After the initial installation issues, I hope you enjoy our product and don´t hesitate to ask if you have any question.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived