Command line (cm.exe) closes immediately after it is opened

As soon as I run cm.exe (on windows 8.1, latest update), it openes, I get a brief flash of the text, and then it closes. I can't find any log file, and there's nothing in the event viewer. Searching google and this forum haven't turned anything up either.

I've got exactly the same issue on another PC running the same OS.

The GUI client works perfectly.

Running latest plastic version (PlasticSCM-5.0.44.557-windows-net4-installer.exe).

Any ideas?

I put the cm.log.conf file in there and ran it but no log file is produced. I may be doing something wrong though as I can't get the GUI to produce one either by using its log.conf.

I just copied the .conf files and put them here: C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\client

Then I ran cm.exe and plastic.exe. I played around with the GUI too, but there's still no .txt files at all. I don't see anything from plastic in windows event log either.

Where can I find the regular and error outputs?

I had another play with various settings and got the log to work by running cm and the gui as administrator. The cm.exe log doesn't give much insight though:

2014-04-22 21:33:27,516 INFO  9548 cm - STARTING CLIENT
2014-04-22 21:33:27,617 DEBUG 9548 ClientConfig - Time loading client.conf (C:\Users\Hugo\AppData\Local\plastic4\client.conf) 78 ms

Any other ideas? I can't finish the test implementation until the cmd is working,

EDIT;

I tried a variety of alternative installers from the download section. All did the same thing.

I then tried a version 4 installer. The CM for that behaved in exactly the same way.

So then I tried running it in safe mode. This killed the server service, which then stopped plastic.exe from running, but cm.exe behaved exactly the same. I'm not sure how cm is supposed to behave here but I don't think safe mode fixed the issue.

Running low on other things to try here as I don't have any older version of windows to test on.

EDIT2:

We've also tested this on a windows 8 machine without the 8.1 update. Same issue.

Managed to solve it all.

The issue is down to windows automatically closing cmd windows when their process has completed. The easiest way around this is to run the cmd in administrator mode, the key here being that it has to be the pure cmd, not the program such as cm.exe in this case. If the pure cmd is open and run as administrator then the plastic command line functions can be called there and nothing closes. Essentially, what this means is that cm.exe itself is never run.

ops!!!!

I was assuming that you were running the command inside a command line window :P

Nice to know it works now for you.

Just for you to know there's a special cm mode that is the "cm shell" it will keep the console opened to just type commands, it's really fast. For example:

cm shell
> whoami
manu
> lrep
1 default localhost:8084

Archived