License clarification

bozydar

Where can I read a license before purchasing?

In "END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR CODICE SOFTWARE PRODUCTS" in trial-version installer we can read:

4.2.    The Products shall only be used in the CPUs, where they have been initially installed.

So is it limited to a single PC?

Hi,

Our product is licensed on a per user basis. You can use as many devices per user as you wish. We do not charge a fee for servers..

The referred sentence applies to our license file which must be installed in the server or servers (depending on your configuration), to enable users to access it. You cannot use this license file in another installation without uninstalling the software from where it was first installed. 

I hope this respond to your question.

Francisco

Hi,

Thank you for your answer.
I have two more questions:

1. Let's say, that I bought "semantic merge" for myself. So I can use it at home on my two machines, where I work on some personal projects (open source or commercial).
Can I also use it at work (The company I work for didn't buy a license).
In other words: Can I treat it as a personal license, per named user (like ReSharper's personal license)?

2. The company I work for buys 10 licenses. I assume they are per unnamed developer (so can be used by various people as long as there are no more than 10 installations in the company)?

Hi bozydar,

1. You can use SemanticMerge for any purposes you want. You purchased a license, so it is up to you. The deal is: one license per user. So as soon as *YOU* use it, that's fine. (No other colleague should use it though).

2. Well, that's an interesting point. Our initial thought was 1 lic per user (even that the developer can use as many machines as he needs at no extra cost). If you buy 10, then it is for 10 people. I mean, suppose one developer leaves and another one enters the company, then it is ok to reuse the lic. But they're not floating licenses: the goal is not "ok, let's buy 2 licenses and use it among 20 people".

Archived