Git Sync Multiple Machine Sync Fixup

AaronKOG

Hello again,

I saw this recent thread:

I actually made the same mistake a year ago or so with my repo. My work around at the time was to just merge all the duplicate changesets and get back to work:

146829366_duplicatechangesets.thumb.png.6672d04cb36b87a653e736b743f06d60.png

Reading that thread gave me a little hope that I could actually go back and correct this by deleting the changelists (something I hadn't considered at the time). So I gave it a shot and...

image.png.effaa9a9e47ce3cc8105f244327ef539.png

I tried the command line:

image.png.d412ceb0deac920d0a3bb472ccf2c2b6.png

Is there no cleaning this up since I actually went ahead and merged the subbranches that syncing from two machines created? I tried deleting the last duplicated, first duplicate and the sub branch merge changesets with the same results.

What do you advise?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,

- Is it clear why this duplicated history happend? If it's not fully clear, we can spend time reviewing it to be sure it won't happen again.

- Once the history is duplicated, your can try to manually remove all the duplicated changesets (assuming you don't have a backup or a local repo replicated with the original content). If you are getting this error is because the changeset you are trying to remove is the parent of other changeset.  If this changeset was merged, you need to remove first the merge result changeset. Only is possible to remvoe a changeset in Plastic if there is not other changeset linked to in it afterwards.

Regards,

Carlos.

Yes it is clear how it happened. I ran gitsync form another machine like the the person from the thread referenced. I stopped doing that after this occured.

I attempted to remove the sub-branch merge towards the end of those parallel branches in the pictures.  Here is a zoomed in shot at the point where I went back to using the original machine to sync:

image.png.c9eba1191a8d34219f2ca1c5c55b851e.png

Any changeset I attempt to delete presents the error dialog in the original post. The arrows represent the duplicate changesets generated from running gitsync on an alt computer. The red circle indicates the changeset I'd think I would need to delete first to allow the others to get cleaned up.

I suppose another alternative would be to remove the duplicate changes in the git history and sync from another fresh plastic repo...  Would prefer to just fix this plastic repo up though if possible. If you want logs I am happy to email or send them some other private way.

Thanks again,

Aaron

Hi,

I'm afraid you cannot remove a changeset if it's the parent of other changeset. I the duplicated changesets where merged to s different branch it makes more difficult to remove them. You need to start removing from the last.

In the attached screenshot, you can only remove the changeset that is not the parent of any other changeset:

image.png

Regards,

Carlos.