Local xlinks (with no PlasticSCM IP address specified)?

marioo

When you create an xlink, you have to specify a target PlasticSCM server to be able to select a repository then. In our case, both the repository that contains the xlink definition and the one the xlink points to is on the same PlasticSCM server. I'm afraid that when the IP address of the server changes for some reason in the future, we will be unable to retrieve fully historical changesets with xlink definitions, because the xlinks will point to a server that will no longer be available.

Because we currently use a single PlasticSCM server, I think it would be safer not to specify any PlasticSCM IP address, to make the xlinks be treated as local (so when retrieving an xlinked repo, PlasticSCM would have to assume it is on the same server as the repo the xlink is defined on).

Is it possible to do?

Thanks for your answer in advance.

Hello marioo,

sorry but the relative xlinks will not help for your scenario.

What I recommend you is the following, give the machine a well known name, for example: "plasticServer1" "scmServer1" "plasticscm1", then use the server name instead of the server IP to create the Xlinks.

If you do that in case you have a hardware failure you just need to create another machine with the same name. You can even use CNAMEs to handle it better.

Fine! If you feel that you CANT_LIVE_WITHOUT_THE_FEATURE please include it at the uservoice area (plasticscm.uservoice.com/forums/15467-general)

But I think the name mapping is much better, if something goes wrong you just need to change a machine name and that's all.

Archived