New install... new key? Halp!

HakJak

Hello, we have a team of 5 and recently installed Plastic Cloud on each of our computers.  No problems.  We generated an encryption key.  On first pull request, the Plastic Client asks for the Encryption Key.  We put it in and all is good.

Today I ran into a problem with a new install:  I installed the Plastic Client on my laptop and attempted to do the first pull.  This time, instead of asking for an existing Encryption Key, it asked me to create a password to generate a new key... with no option to enter our team's existing one.  Please see attached screenshot.

Has anyone else ran into this problem before?  How can I fix this?

Plastic Account.PNG

A little more info.  Another team member, our Senior Programmer, created our account initially.  Then our sales rep switched the account ownership over to me so I could set us up with a paid cloud subscription.  I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem above, but thought more info may be helpful here. 

Our Senior Developer was able to reproduce this problem with the following steps:

1) Uninstall Plastic with uninstaller

2) Delete the folder at <User>/AppData/Local/plastic4

3) Delete the folder at Program Files/PlasticSCM5

4) Delete your local checkout of pigeon sim in windows explorer

5) Reinstall

Hi,

We were handling this issue via support ticket, but let me also update this post:

The encryption key is not stored in the cloud organization side but on the client-side:
- The first time you run a Plastic client side operation, you will need to enter the encryption key to download/upload data to the cloud repo.
- If you are following a distributed workflow pushing/pulling your local repos to the cloud, the first time you perform a replica operation, you will also need to enter the encryption key si this way, it's stored in your local server.

So in summary, if you install a Plastic client on a new computer, it makes sense for this user to be requested to enter the encryption key. You need to be sure that all the users are using the same encryption key and it will be requested only the first time. Then it will be locally saved.

In the screenshot you attached, this user needs to enter your common encryption key.

Regards,

Carlos.

• 2 years later...