How to config when a VS solution has projects not in the same path

Merc

Hello. Let's assume the following solution structure in Visual Studio:

HBN75Zz.png

The Tests solution file and the Test1 and Test2 projects are within the same folder, but the Shared project is outside of that path. Like so:

D:\TEST
+---Shared
|   |   Shared.sln
|   |   
|   +---Shared
|   |   |   MainShared.cs
|   |   |   Shared.csproj
|                   
\---Tests
    |   Tests.sln
    |   
    +---Tests1
    |   |   Main1.cs
    |   |   Tests1.csproj
    |           
    +---Tests2
    |   |   Main2.cs
    |   |   Tests2.csproj

I know how to create a repository/workspace for the Shared solution/project. Likewise for the Tests solution and the Tests1 and Tests2 projects. But I can not figure out how to configure things when I want the Tests solution to include a project outside of the workspace's path for Tests.

I'm hoping that is clear. Thanks for any insight. 

Hi

I guess the Shared.sln belongs to lets say RepoA and Tests.sln belongs to RepoB right?

Both Tests and Shared directories are at the same level, great, that allows you to:

1) Create two workspaces, one for Tests and another one for Shared, the VS plugin will identify the situation and you will be able to commit etc seamlessly.

or

2) Create a third repository having the following structure:

d:\Test

d:\Test\Shared (xlink to Shared repository)

d:\Test\Tests (xlink to Test repository)

Then you just need to create only one workspace working with the third repository which is going to load the desired structure.

Here you have more info about xlinks: http://codicesoftware.blogspot.com/2011/12/how-to-link-repositories-using-xlinks.html

Archived