How do I preserve annotations ("blame"?) while copying files to a new project?

ioioio

We have a legacy Unity project A. We've started mostly rewriting it from scratch. We created a new project B, into which I am copying some files from A. Both projects live in their respective repositories.

Problem is, I copied files between two repositories outside of Plastic. So now when I do "annotate",  all the legacy code shows under my name, even though I am not the original author.

Questions.

1. Is there any way to restore the names of the original authors? I am happy to use command line and write a script. 

2. In retrospect, could I have copied files differently, in a way that preserved annotations?

3. Where do annotations live, internally?

Hi,

If I properly understand, you checked in some files in a Plastic repo and the user who created these files on the original repo was a different one.

If you want to preserve the history of the original repo (specific users who created the different files revisions...), you can use the Plastic replica to replicate a branch from one repo to the other. This way, the same original repo history, changesets, revision ownership... will be preserved.

If you are starting a new repo from scratch and checkin in the files in the new repo, the owner of the file revisions is the user who is performing this checkin.

When you create a new file revisions in a Plastic repo (via checkin), different metadata is stored, including the revision creator (the user who perform the checkin). This way, when you diff or annotate you can see who created this file revision.

Every time you perform a checkin for a changed/new file in Plastic, a new file revision is created in the database (inclusing its metadata: owner, revision id, creation time...)

Regards,

Carlos.