Consequence of importing a V4 repositories data in a freshly installed V5 server

FredM

Hi,

My plastic mysql/linux server has gone funny after an unsual series of reinstallation steps.

So to make things easier to understand I'm going ask basic questions like this one :

What happens if you do the following :

1) Backup V4 server repo data

2) Install V5 server on new machine

3) Import V4 data into mysql on the newly installed machine

Would this circumvent the natural upgrade process and affect permissions ? Because I seem to have issues with new users no being able to view repos.

Is there a database migration fix or special import procedure to properly import V4 data on a freshly installed V5 server ?

Thanks in advance for your time and attention

Fred

Hi,

To perform a migration (included database migration), you just need to run the Plastic 5 installer. It will upgrade both the binaries, but also the databases. You don´t need to manually backup or import the databases.  It´s an automatic process when you run a Plastic 5 installer in a Plastic 4 server.

Regards,

Carlos 

Thanks Carlos for the quick answer but you describe the usual expected scenario.

The scenario I mentioned can occur and that's what happened to me :

- Disk failure on a V4 server of which the linux filesystem had become readonly

- Performed a backup of the V4 MySQL data

- Installed a new plastic V5 server on new machine.

- Imported the V4 data on the V5 server

Hence my question : what would be the consequences ? Ever tried this case ?

If that's not supported may be you could think of a watchdog process/thread that would look for the existence of legacy data and log a warning server side + display a warning client side.

Fred

Hi,

If you run a Plastic 4 database on a Plastic 5 server, after restarting the server, the databases should be automatically upgraded to Plastic 5.  Anyway, why didn´t you follow the next steps:

- Disk failure on a V4 server of which the linux filesystem had become readonly

- Performed a backup of the V4 MySQL data

- Installed a new plastic V4 server on new machine.

- Imported the V4 data, and after that run a  Plastic 5 installer that will perform the database and binary upgrade.

Regards,

Carlos

Thanks for the answer Carlos.

At the time I didn't know that doing so would perform a one way only data migration.

In situations where a software is about to perform a non revertable action I'd expect to be offered the choice of refusing. And if I accept the migration, then offering to keep a copy of the previous data would be also a good thing.

Also I don't see why a properly configured V5 server could not detect that it's starting with V4 data and print a message saying that it's migrating data.

Thanks

Fred

Hi,

That makes sense. I will report your feedback. A message would help.   Anyway, this is not a common workflow (import Plastic 4 databases to a Plastic 5 server).  The normal workflow is to perform the binaries and databases migration at the same time and the user is aware of the migration when running the installer.

Regards,

Carlos.

Archived