Fresh install of Plastic SCM 5 fails to run after fresh install on Windows 7

FredM

Unwilling to wait any longer for assistance for an issue related to not being able to run the plastic client I had yesterday, I decided to surrender to reinstalling my development PC to be able run Plastic SCM 5.

But then you could say why not keep using version 4 ? Because the server side upgrade process doesn't invite you to backup your data and modifies the data in a way that prevents a server with a previous version number to reuse it. So basically once you have done a major version upgrade (like V4 to V5) your are bound to keep using the latest version you picked. That explain why I really wanted to able to run the Plastic SCM 5 client. But for some reason it fails to run after installation.

That led me to install a fresh version of Windows 7, hoping that on a bare system the install would go smoothly. You can't imagine the grin of despair on my face when after having launched Plastic client V5 I could see the same error I had on my previous system (see quoted below). I just don't get it.

So just to start with the basics : is it actually possible to install Plastic SCM 5 on a freshly installed version of Windows 7 ?

Repro scenario: 

- Fresh install of Windows 7 Pro 64 bits

- Install latest client version : PlasticSCM-5.0.44.603-windows-client-installer (same happen with the .NET4 bundle)

Symptoms :

At program startup Plastic displays this error message where X.X.X.X varies according to the build version being installed :

Couldn't find assembly 'commontypes, Version=X.X.XX.X,

Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=a107c9c6e34c8876' Plastic client

can't continue and will be closed.

It happens with all releases of the Plastic SCM 5 line and also with the experimental line.

Fred

This is insane ! The same happens with Windows 8.1 :

• Install Windows 8.1 64 bits
  • Start installation of Plastic SCM 5 (PlasticSCM-5.0.44.603-windows-client-installer.exe)
  • Installer says that a .NET framework is required
  • Install .NET Framework 3.5 from the web page opened by the installer
  • Retry installation
  • Launch Plastic SCM 5
  • Press OK on messagebox mentioned in initial post
  • Throw yourself through out of the window

Wow, It´s a bit strange. I´ve performed a fast test in my WIndows 7 64 bits machine and the client and the server are properly installed.  If you drive to the client folder, is there a "commontypes.dll" file? 

I will try download the installer and run it in a clean WIn 8 machine, to check if I can reproduce the issue.  If you run the complete installer (I mean not only the client) is the issue happening again?

Regards,

Carlos

• 1 month later...

Hello Carlos,

I have been busy on other things and just got back to plastic recently.

Sorry but I don't have time to test on Windows 8. I think the issue I had on Win 7 with the client-only is the same I was seeing on Windows 8.

So if this issue with the client-only installer is solved you may deleted this ticket.

Thanks

Fred

Archived