Shared web hosts don't use default "mysql" database; server setup wizard cannot pass

This is a "bug" report. This thread indicates this is the best place to do so: http://www.plasticscm.net/index.php?/topic/1026-where-do-i-report-a-bug/

Problem:

Shared web hosts like Bluehost don't use the default database called "mysql", so when trying to use a PlasticSCM with MySQL settings in the db.conf, it always attempts to access a database named "mysql" that doesn't exist.

Let's say I own a website named GalaxyGoods.com that sells Futuristic Software and Weird-Looking Produce. If I sign up for a Bluehost account, they will take the first 8 letters and my account will become:

/home/galaxygo/

The closest to root access I'll be given to MySQL is galaxygo:accountpassword. 

And my list of databases will look like this:

galaxygo   (created by the system)

galaxygo_plasticscm

galaxygo_repositiories

galaxygo_rep1

galaxygo_wordpress

galaxygo_yetanotherdatabase

The "galaxygo_" database prefix is mandatory, and the "mysql" database doesn't exist.

Here's where the problem comes in:

You can't get this far. Plastic SCM Server Setup Wizard appears to be hardcoded to reach out to the "mysql" database and it doesn't exist, so it throws an error and you cannot complete the wizard. The wizard throws an error stating that "mysql" doesn't exist.

I think at this point I'm going to go with Amazon EC2 for my own personal solution, but wanted to let you know there seems to be a hard-coded limitation in the wizard or setup process.

Hi,

what happens if you stop the Plastic SCM server. Then you edit the db.conf to work with Mysql, for example:

<DbConfig>
<ProviderName>mysql</ProviderName>
  <ConnectionString>
Server=venus;User ID=myuser;Password=mypwd;Database={0};Pooling=true
</ConnectionString>
<DatabasePath></DatabasePath>
</DbConfig>

and then you start the Plastic SCM server/daemon again? Take a look into the "plastic.server.log" file to review the errors and post them to us.

Archived