Why megabits and not megabytes?

marioo

I noticed that when you added detailed progress information to all download/upload windows several versions ago, you started using the unit symbols kilobit (kb) and megabit (Mb). Are these really megabits and kilobits or are these just typos and you meant kilobytes and megabytes (kB, MB)? I'm asking, because it is quite difficult to compare these values to the sizes of files normally displayed by the OS.

post-7729-0-09056800-1416382418_thumb.png

Please also notice that the meaning of kB, MB, GB etc. in Windows is different than in MacOS and Linux (as far as I know, PlasticSCM works on all the operating systems, right?)

In Windows, for instance, MB means 2^20 B (which is confusing IMHO), but in MacOS its meaning is 1000^2 B. Even though I personally hate using the 2^n units, because they are harder to calculate, in this case using the KiB, MiB, GiB units would be best (as far as multiple OSs are concerned)... Whenever I come across kB, MB, GB, I have no idea how to interpret them (different context or OS, different interpretation). On the other hand, the meaning of KiB, MiB, GiB is always strict.

http://www.charlestonsw.com/the-difference-between-mib-and-mb/

Archived