Plastic 4.1: local workspace empty after failed "switch workspace"

jmranger

With 4.1.10.583.

Long story short (the long post was eaten by the forum code).

- Trying to switch workspace to a different changeset.

- Getting a dialog that says that two files or folders can't be updated due to a permission issue (sorry, I don't have the exact wording)

- Three options: force update; retry; cancel

- Had the bug twice on the same commit (so I assume it's reproducible). One attempt with "force update", one with "retry". Same result: the local directory on the hard disk is now almost empty.

I don't want to retry to often - the workspace is 800MB on a remote server.

Questions:

1) how do I fix the permission issue?

2) if I don't fix (1), how do I prevent the local folder from being wiped?

I understand that I'm not posting all needed info. What's missing?

(Unrelated - please fix the typo at http://www.plasticscm.com/download/previous that says that 4.1.10.561 was released in 2015)

Hi!

review if the directories that can¡t be updated are having the right permissions, just in case grant full access for your windows user. Then retry the update operation.

Plastic tries to download the new content to your workspace, if any of the directories can be deleted or written the error you are getting is displayed.

Thanks for reporting the download page issue, it has been fixed.

Thanks for the hint. I changed a few permissions in Windows a little bit randomly, and I'm seeing it less often.

But I believe you might have two bugs in PlasticSCM code nonetheless:
1) I'm wondering if the dialog pops-up when a commit create two nested directories. I feel that Plastic might sometimes be trying to create the child directory before creating the parent. Possibly due to things being performed in parallel. I didn't test it - just a feeling.
2) It still doesn't explain why in some cases, the working directory is wiped out. I mitigated the issue by keeping a complete copy of my working directory nearby - and when the bug strikes, I just quit plastic, scrap the empty working directory, copy back, restart plastic, and re-switch workspace location. This saves me 20 minutes each time (probably did that twice since Monday) - but it just shouldn't happen.

Jean-Marc

Hi Jean-Marc,

I'm available to connect with you if you can reproduce the issues.

We are not aware of those issues and the update operation is used hundreds of times per day:

You are using 4.1.10.583, so you are missing alot of new features and bugfixes, can you upgrade to the latest 5.0 and test it again just in case....

Hi Manu,

I did check this morning what I thought was a repeatable way to get it - but it isn't. Fully gone - I didn't see the dialog once, and no more "empty folder". I did revert some permissions changes I made in Windows - and no luck. Sorry.

Yes, we know about 5.0, but the "database change, whole team must upgrade simultanously", plus a bit of "what happens if the upgrade fails" fear have prevented us from trying yet. Maybe in January, if our customer allows for a bit of calmer time...

Thanks again for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! No problem, if the error comes back please hit me.

Do you use Plastic is a distributed way? the database change is really small so it shouldn't be a problem. We didn't hear any issues regarding the 4.1 -> 5.0/5.4 upgrade so don't be afraid :P

Best regards,

Manuel.

Archived