Search matches fails when the similarity level is 0%

marioo

I noticed that when you use the search matches dialog and set the minimum similarity level to 0%, PlasticSCM sometimes hangs and generates an out of memory exception.

Unfortunately I can't give you any clear instructions how to reproduce the error. However, I noticed that it happens when there are many files in the deleted section of pending changes. Or more likely it might take place when not only files, but folders are listed in that section.

If you fail to reproduce that issue, please let me know. I'll be trying to investigate it more profoundly when it happens again.

Thanks!

post-7729-0-69892600-1429084676_thumb.png

PlasticSCM_2015_04_15-08 SEARCH MATCHES.log.txt

Hi Marioo,

I'm sorry but I can't reproduce it. Can you please enable the plastic.log.conf file (https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/technical-articles/kb-enabling-logging-for-plastic-scm-part-i.html) and if it happens again send us more info about the scenario + the log file? Hopefully we'll get more info from there.

You can change the result log file by editing it inside the plastic.log.conf to avoid writing at "program files".

Thank you for reporting the issue!

Hi Manu,

I've just configured client logging and will let you know when the issue repeats. Actually I came across it multiple times, but only now have I switched on logging. I'll let you know when I learn how to reproduce the issue.

Greetings!

Hi Manu,

I managed to reproduce the issue, but in a different environment. Previously my PlasticSCM was installed on a VM, but now I use it directly on my host OS. I think because of that, the behaviour I observed now is a bit different than I described. Actually there was no out of memory exception, but CPU usage went to 100% instead, and PlasticSCM hanged. I waited for a few minutes, but nothing happened; I had to kill the process.

Please see attached the picture and a log file. I was renaming a VB.NET project which caused multiple files and folders to be displayed in the 'added' and 'deleted' sections of Pending changes. Please note that the folders listed in those sections may contain very many files and subfolders (which might be of importance). I chose the first file in the 'added' section ('bin\Release\Client_Engine.xml') to search matches for it. In the search matches window I set similarity level to 0%, and in a few seconds my CPU usage rised to 100% (PlasticSCM hanged).

Is there anything more I can tell you? I might have forgotten to mention something.

Thanks!

PS.

I attached mentioned files to my first post in this thread. Before I started PlasticSCM client to reproduce the error, I removed the log file, so it should contain minimum necessary information, I think.

Tested on PlasticSCM 5.4.16.657 Seville.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Manu,

My colleague has just experienced the same issue. Plastic SCM hanged and he had to restart his machine. AFAIK he moved project files and folders to their parent directory. Then he used the Search matches window to look for directory matches, and scrolled the similarity track bar to 0. That killed Plastic and the machine he worked on.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Manu,

Did you manage to investigate the issue? I'm not sure if anybody is following this topic :-). There has been no response since I uploaded my logs.

Let me mention another situation I had yesterday, when Search Matches caused PlasticSCM to hang. I had about 10 files in the Added and in the Deleted sections of Pending Changes, and another 10 files in the Moved section (these were recognized as moved automatically). PlasticSCM hanged when I attempted to find matches for a file, setting a 0 similarity level.

However, when I first checked in all changed and moved files, and only then attempted to search matches for the added files again, everything went fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just found a way to reproduce it! :-)

1. I created a single file named test.txt whose content was 'text'.

2. I duplicated the file so that I had 64 same files in my workspace (select all, copy, paste, select all, copy, paste...)

3. I checked all of them in.

4. I moved them all to a subfolder in my workspace (in Windows Explorer, not in Plastic SCM).

5. I modified the content of one of the files by adding several extra lines of text to it, so that Plastic SCM couldn't detect that the file was moved.

6. I opened Pending Changes and noticed that 63 files appeared in the moved section, the file I modified was detected as deleted and also as added, and the folder I moved all the files to was also in the added section (see attached the picture).

7. I tried to search matches for the text file I modified (the one in the added section) and set the similarity level to 0.

That was the point where Plastic SCM client hanged.

Of course the number of files, their content and names were random. I just duplicated them randomly until there were quite many of them. The names were auto-generated. 

--

Plastic SCM Server: 5.4.16.619

Plastic SCM Client: 5.4.16.671

post-7729-0-71537800-1434617742_thumb.png

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

You forgot to say it eats all the RAM like a monster!!! xD had to restart the machine..... hahahahaha

Thank you for finding the way to reproduce it :) I'll add the bug to our issue tracking system.

• 3 weeks later...

You are very welcome! Thank you for reporting it and providing the way to reproduce the issue.

We fixed the scenario provided and it will hopefully completely fix the issue but just in case let's try the new release and monitor it.

Archived