Suggested server specification

dsg

Hi,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a Plastic server specification to support between 50-100 users.

I need to detail the requirements for hosting of 2 virtual machines one for the PlasticSCM server and a second for an MS SQL server database backend. Both VMs will run windows 2012 server.

Because IT is out sourced we pay for each Gb of disk space provisioned irrespective of use and so I'm keen to keep the Plastic servers disk size small but do not wish to compromise performance.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Any thoughts on database server specification would also be interesting.

On a related topic we’ve noticed that our current eval server has a lot of largish .plastic files in the server directory and we are wondering what these store?

Hi!

Are you sure you need two machines, one for Plastic and one for MySQL? One single machine will avoid network latency for the DB queries perfomed by  the Plastic SCM server.

Regarding the ".plastic" files, I think they are the databases, check if they start with "rep_X" or "repositories". You can configure MySQL or Plastic to store the databases in a different directory. Check: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/administration/plastic-scm-version-control-administrator-guide.shtml#Chapter8:Databasesetup

How big your working copy is? Are you migrating history?  That will impact the HD size... 

If you go for a 2 machines setup the Plastic SCM server itself will require nothing.... The MySQL one will need more, of course.

Regarding RAM, 6GB for Plastic and 10 for MySQL should be more than enough for 50-100 users.

Hi Manu,

Thanks for replying.

Its our IT provider that prefers multiple virtual machines. I belive they think it simplifies upgrades and maintenance and provides some redundancy as they can move the VMs around. Whilst the suggestion is for a Plastic VM and a database VM I think the VM's wil be hosted on processing blades and a SAN which should limit real network access and hence latency.

We started our evaluation of plastic using the inbuilt CE database before migrating to micorosft SQL server so I wonder if the .plastic files i'm seeing date back to the CE days.

Thanks again,

Archived