Removed features in new code review GUI

marioo

Hi there! :-)

I've just talked to my colleague that performs code reviews for us. He has recently updated Plastic SCM to the release that has the new diff GUI (5.4.16.679 - Kansas). It seems that there are a few things he misses very much in the code reviews window.

Let me start from the most important one. In older Plastic SCM releases it was possible to move to the next/previous file using keyboar shortcuts. This feature was removed, and the only available shortcuts are those for navigation through changes in the diff pane. While verifying changes, he could previously navigate through changes without using mouse at all. He had keyboard focus on the diff pane, and just used two key combinations: move to next change, move to next file. This way his work was much more effective. Now, on the other hand, he has to use his mouse to move between files, and after then he always has to click back the diff pane, because its shortcuts work only when the pane has focus.

We would be grateful if you could restore keyboard shortcuts for moving between files. Please also consider making them available no matter which control in the code review window has keyboard focus. For the time being, he decided to switch back to the older Plastic SCM release, because he can do his job more effectively there, as far as code reviews are concerned.

Let me also mention several minor problems that also appeared in the new release:

1. There used to be a splitter between the narrow text box with branch name at the top of the window and the list of changed files. By moving it upwards you could slightly expand the list of files to the top (a little more was visible thanks to that). The splitter has been removed even though it was rather useful :-).

2. When you grab the splitter between the file diff pane and the comment list, and you move it upwards, there is a black horizontal line that indicates the point to which the comments pane will be expanded. However, when you move it downwards, the line is not visible, so you have an impression you can'r resize the pane or you just don't see exactly to which point it will go. I would consider switching on tracking here, so that when you move any splitter, the sections it controls resize on the fly (and not only after you release mouse button).

3. For some reason when you move your mouse cursor over the vertical splitter in between the left and right diff panes, it becomes a hand and does not change back when you move across other controls in that window. Funny that it does not always happen and I don't know exactly how to reproduce it :-).

We would be grateful if you could improve these.

And one more thing - this one wasn't available in previous releases. Would you consider making the code review window remember positions of all splitters in it?

Thank you very much!

Hi!

Thank you for your feedback! We'll release a fix as soon as possible.

Regarding the splitter preview problem, it's a well-known issue caused by having WPF and WinForms controls at the same time. We intend to port the whole application to WPF in the future, which will make the problem disappear.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

Best regards,

Míryam

Archived