Windows server: "Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger."

I have been using Plastic as a client for some time now and like it a lot.  Last year I set up a server on an OSX machine and, after a few hiccups with connections across multiple versions of the software, there was no problem setting up a server.

However, I've tried to set up a server on two Windows machines now, a Windows 7 machine and an 8.1 machine, and both machines are causing me problems that I can't seem to solve with a simple Google search (or twelve).

After configuring the server with the desired settings, I try to check plasticd status, and get "Cannot start service from the command line or a debugger. A Windows Service must first be installed (using installutil.exe) and then started with the ServerExplorer, Windows Services Administratice tool of the NET START command."

Command line reads a whole lot of "log4net : ERROR [FileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file *.log.txt. Access to the path is denied." so I'm not getting any log info either.

I tried using installutil but that won't work either.

As I write this it occurs to me that this feels reminiscent of issues I've experienced with installing stuff in Program Files... but if that's the problem, I don't believe I changed the default install directory, and it chose to put itself in Program Files.

I'll attempt to install the whole shebang in root C: later but until then, acting under the assumption that this alone won't be the solution, maybe someone has some insight?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! (sorry for the late answer)

ProgramFiles is the default installation path on windows, no issues with that, it's the common place to install software on windows.

Can you check the user that is trying to run the server? You can check it from the services windows opening the "Plastic server 5" properties. It should be a user with read/write permissions on ProgramFiles.

The "log4net : ERROR [FileAppender] Unable to acquire lock on file *.log.txt. Access to the path is denied."  error seems to be caused by running  a server without enough permissions.

You can try to fast start the Plastic SCM server in console mode by opening an Admin command line tool and running:

"C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5\server> plasticd.exe --console"

Using another command line window run:

cm lrep

In order to check if the server is listening and the default repo is created.

Archived