How to organize project with different parts

mengke

Hi!

We are developing a music game project with massive audio and graphics resources, and planning to manage it using PlasticSCM. However, we got some difficulties on how to organize and separate different parts.

Our project has three parts in general: the code, the audio samples, and the GUI graphics resources. Different guys need different part:

• The programmers need all three parts, but don't need all recorded audio samples and original PhotoShop project file, but only need the "exported" ".mp3" and ".png" files.
  • The recording engineers only need the audio part. and export ".mp3" to programmers, and sometimes, they will need some executable demos, which build by programmers to test if their audio samples are good.
  • The artwork designer need the graphics part. and he need some executable demos too.

As I read the docs of Plastic SCM, I found out there maybe two things can help me:

• Xlink
  • cloaked

I have tried Xlink but it seems like if I using Xlink, I have to separate the whole project into many separate repos like:

Audio, AudioExports, PSD, PSDExports, Coding, CodingExports.......... 

I really don't think it's a good idea, Instead, we want different people could just checkout a portion of the project.

We have tried to use cloaked.conf file, but it don't automatically check out a part.

So, how can we limit the checkout part? Or is there any other better ways to organize our project? Thanks for a lot!

Hi there!

Interesting setup.

What do you think about this???

0) Only one repo with everything.

1) Developers need almost everything so they can work with the regular GUI + cloaked rules to avoid downloading the audio samples and photoshop originals. Developers can use the branch per task methodology.

2) Recording engineers can use Gluon to load only the audio part + the export directories. I guess the recording engineers work on main and using exclusive checkout since audio can't be merged.

3) The artwork designer is the perfect target for gluon too. Gluon will allow to work on main + exclusive checkouts (locks) + nice previews + download only the directories and files needed.

Hi there!

Interesting setup.

What do you think about this???

0) Only one repo with everything.

1) Developers need almost everything so they can work with the regular GUI + cloaked rules to avoid downloading the audio samples and photoshop originals. Developers can use the branch per task methodology.

2) Recording engineers can use Gluon to load only the audio part + the export directories. I guess the recording engineers work on main and using exclusive checkout since audio can't be merged.

3) The artwork designer is the perfect target for gluon too. Gluon will allow to work on main + exclusive checkouts (locks) + nice previews + download only the directories and files needed.

Indeed! I think that's the right way! I will try Gluon! Thank you!

by the way, if a file marked as "cloaked", I believe there must have command 

like "update cloaked file" or something to help me to download it by force,

but I just can't find it anywhere on GUI,so what should I do if I want download this file again

but keep the "cloaked.conf" file unchanged?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

try it, I think it will fit perfectly.

Regarding your questions about cloaked. You can't force the update from the GUI, you can do it using the command line as follows:

cm update foo.c --cloaked

In my example "foo.c" is a file that is cloaked.

The only workaround using the GUI is temporally removing it from the cloaked.conf and update.

Archived