Switching workspace to point to replicated repository

dkrenn

Hi,

We've just set up a replicated repository, and I was wanting to know what the ideal method is for switching a workspace so that it correctly references the newly replicated repository.

I've switched the repository location in Preferences, and set the repository address in the .plastic/plastic.selector file in the workspace, but my changeset isn't set to the head changeset of the new repository. If I right click the head changeset and choose "Switch workspace to this changeset", it wants to download the repository again (70GB), which I would prefer not to do.

Is there something I've missed?

I've tried deleting the workspace and re-adding it. This is something that has worked in smaller projects as Plastic can usually determine which assets are already in the workspace folder, and lets you press "Process Merges" which gets everything in sync again. This isn't working for the project I'm referring to however, as the Plastic client just sits there spinning its wheels for hours.

If I understood you correctly you have a workspace working with a given local? repository called X and now you have a new repository Y replicated from another external one.

Both X and Y repositories are having the same assets?

Do you want to reuse the workspace targeting the X repository to start working with the Y repository?

If I'm right with your issue understanding you just need to select the Y repository, Select "Show branch explorer", Right click the branch you want to start working with and select "Switch workspace to this branch". Plastic will not only change the branch, but also the working repository.

The local assets having the same name and hash than the ones that need to be downloaded won't be downloaded again. The ones differing in hash will be moved to "assetName.private.0" a safety protocol to not remove local items that might be not saved.

If the content of the X repository is the same, or almost identical to the repository Y content nothing (or a few items) will be download, the rest is preserved and saves download traffic and time. 

That process would be good if it weren't for the fact that twice now when I've gone to "Switch Workspace to this branch", Plastic has taken it upon itself to delete all the files and just leave the folders, and started downloading all the files again from scratch!

This really is quite frustrating, especially with a 70GB repository. I've lost a day and a half on this simple process already.

Ok, I'm sorry but I forgot a crucial step on my explanation.

In order to avoid what happened to you, all the content removed and created again, you first need to remove the items metadata.

This items metadata file is located inside your workspace at .plastic\plastic.wktree. You need to close the GUI, delete the metadata file and proceed with the steps explained above.

Sorry for the inconveniences.

For anyone interested in this process, this appears to be the correct flow for making the switch to a replicated repository:

- Open the Plastic client

- Make sure you have everything checked in and your workspace has no outstanding changes

- Click Preferences

- In the General section, change the server address to <new_server_address>:8087

- Close Plastic client

- In Explorer, navigate to "<workspace>\.plastic" folder

- Delete plastic.wktree (the items metadata file)

- Reload Plastic client

- Navigate to Repositories & Workspaces > Repositories

- Right click <repository name>, and choose View Branches

- Right click the main branch

- Select "Switch workspace to this branch", and press Yes

- Wait for repository to re-sync / apply changes

- In the Pending Changes view, delete any generated .private.0 files that appear in the workspace

Archived