Change backend failed: constraint failed fidparentmodule; off CE edition with sql server to Team Edition with sqllte

Hi there,

I have been running Plastic Community Ed with SQL Server as backend (this dates back to when Plastic was free).  The licence expired 18/10  so I thought it was high time I paid for it anyway and purchased Team Edition.

This didn't go entirely smoothly because I discovered I had two copies of Plastic on the server, a very old one in C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM and the other in C:\Program Files\PlasticSCM5  so things got a bit confused for a while. 

As often happens, I've spent too much time researching and trying things and not much to write this up!

But in short, I have since uninstalled both copies of Plastic  (the active and the inactive), rebooted, and then installed a single copy of 5.4.16.619 (which is the version I was running before all this started). and it seems it is running against the SQL Server backend.

So two problems - which may or may not have gone away.

- I have a team edition subscription, But there is nowhere in the server admin tools to entire the subscription key?  In the admin tool, "Change licence file.." is greyed out.    In the server configuraton wizar,d  it is detemrined to ask for a plasticd.lic licence file.

There was a place to enter a subscription key at one point, maybe that was while I had 5.4.699 installed in the wrong place or something.

So Q1 - how do I enter my subscription licence?

SECOND problem.  Team edition isn't supposed to work with SQL Server, so I tryed to migrate to sqllite instead.  However after whizzing through the repositories, I hit this error message:

NOT NULL constraint failed: repository.fidparentmodule

The only option was to cancel back again, so still talking to SQL Server.   The sqllite data directory contains one file:

30/10/2015  11:19 a.m.            19,456 repositories.plastic.sqlite

On SQL Server, the plastic_repositories..databainfo table has iversion =63,  the repository table contains 13 rows.  imoduleid = 0 in all cases, no sign of a parent id there.

If I try migrating to Firebird I get a similar error.

NOW - this just may have been Plastic 5.4.699 against a 5.4.619 database - so if I try the migration again right now, it would work.  But I don't have time to look into this right now and deal with the consequences, so I'd like your opinion first.

Thanks very much, gotta rush!

-Walter

OK . this is very frustrating.  But may have latest Plastic 5.4.16.700 installed with SQL Server CE backend (managed to migrate using v619. Firebird failed to work, sqllite seemed to migrate).  It also looks like it has the subscription licence active (rather than trial) - upgrading fixed that issue.

Very important to use older version to migrate - Installed Plastic 5.4.16.700 on top and the Plastic service failed to start - with no reasonable error message that I can find (nothing in event viewer). However  Running plasticd --console shows "Team Edition does not support the specified database backend: [sqlserver]"

<sigh>  Back to 619 to change backend, then back to 700 to get upgrade goodness and working licence.

I'm still not 100% sure this is running properly - monitoring.

Hi!

the error message tries to explain that you can't use SQLServer with a Team license, you'll need an enterprise for that.

I do recommend you to use MySQL/MariaDB if you are going to share the server with multiple developers. SQLite will have issues handling concurrent requests.

Thanks Manu.  Yes sqllite was just one option and I saw warnings about not using for production use. The error there was mismatch in Plastic versions I think.    No MySQL on this box yet (although do have on the same LAN ..hmm maybe not) but I might still upgrade in due course.   I could also perhaps consider moving the server to Linux where I do have mysql available locally.   (I'm not a fan of Mysql but Postgres requires ent licence as well!)

For now it is running ok.  This is a very lightly-loaded SCM & concurrent requests are pretty unlikely.

Archived