Question about SQLite Repositories.

Xorcist

I have an hourly backup that saves all my local SQLite repositories out to my NAS. It's been running for a while and I've never had any issues, but today I noticed my repos are always being backed up... which I found to be puzzling as I haven't touched some of them in months... then I noticed all the repos seems to be getting updated daily... and I'm not doing it. The Date Modified is changing on all of them, and even when I tell my backup system to use the file contents and not the timestamp and or size, they still get copied. So something is actually changing in the files... what exactly is Plastic doing to all those repos that I haven't made changes to in months?

Hi!

that's a good question, I guess the timestamp gets changed by the sqlite provider every time a query is performed. The "cm lrep" of "GetRepositoriesList" method, for example, used by the GUI for a few operation open a connection for each database.

Can you check the md5 or size instead of the timestamp? I'm sure that has to be the same as you are not using those repositories.

I've found this is the reason of the constant synchronization I'm experiencing, which I was talking about here.

I'm also using SQLite.

I don't think it is being triggered by the GUI, because even when I don't open it for several days, the repositories are still changed.

I was able to set my backup software to only look at the file sizes (rather than the contents and or timestamps). It's not optimal, but it does prevent untouched repos from being backed up. Of course there is the slight chance that a repo is modified without affecting the size significantly enough to cause a proper backup, but I hope these cases are few and far between.

Archived