Diff tool has poor performance

mdutt

Hello everyone,

first of all: congratulations to the new 4.0 Plastic SCM. It's really nice! We're about to introduce Plastic SCM as our main repository system and I liked it from the start.

Now what I noticed while working in GUI mode.

Everytime I start a diff between my locally changed files and the last changeset on the repository it takes very much time until Plastic is showing me the two text windows. In the meantime it says: "Calculating differences".

We aren't on a productive environment already, because we're still in evaluation mode. So our configuration at the moment is a standalone machine running the repository server with a MS SQL CE database backend. Might that be the reason for the poor performance?

A general improvement would be to start the diff tool in a new thread so you can continue using Plastic while differences are calculated. At the moment the whole GUI freezes while taking this action.

The text files compared are very huge indeed. We are talking about Visual Fox Pro binaries converted to text files so they're rather long because every method, class variable and some meta data are stored in one single text file...

Don't know if you were aware of that when implementing the diff tool call in the program.

I'm looking forward to hear from you.

Marcel

Thanks for the fast reaction!

So it's a known issue in 4.0

Not good. This will massively delay the introduction of the system in our case. Actually the Diff tool is heavily used in my company so it's no option to wait up to a minute or so - per file.

Would be very nice if you could tell me a timeframe within you want to fix these issues.

Thanks in advance!

Marcel

Ok, it wasn't a known issue because normally diffing files takes like a msec down here.

I guess your problem raises there because your files are actually HUGE, doesn't it? I mean, with regular source code files it is not a problem, is it?

I'll try to double check this with the team today.

The biggest one got 1.79 MB

This is also the one that takes the most time whenn diffing files. And you're right - we also got some C# Class-Files which are fast as hell when you diff them.

Sadly there's no alternative like splitting them up. A Microsoft tool is doing the conversion from binary (a table structure) to text files...

What I'd like to know: what's causing the time lag? Is it the comparison algorithm itself or is it the access to the DB backend? Second possibility maybe resolvable by ourselves. First one means you are the only ones who can improve things in this case.

Please also notice another topic a colleague of mine started here

He's trying to move the DB from SQL Server CE to a real SQL Server and got some trouble with the Admintool.exe while migrating. Maybe we can give you some feedback about the performance differences between the two backends when this step completes.

Thanks a lot for your dedication!

One question: do you mean the list of "pending changes"????

You mean the diffs at the bottom part of the page? Yes this is one place where this happens. But also if you just diff a current change with the previous changeset manually.

I just proposed this option to my supervisor. Maybe this will save us weeks up to months of keep on working with Visual Source Safe (which is in fact absolutely outdated for a repository...)

Thanks for your effort again. Would be nice if you could let me know when there is some news.

Archived