how to grab a file from a revision without ever updating the repo?

leeh

Hi,

Is it possible to grab a specific file from a revision without ever updating? For instance, my boss is out of town but needs to look at a couple of files. The repo has a bunch of binary files, such as Zbrush OBJ files in it, which can be over 1gb each, so it's rather large. He doesn't have the repo on his laptop so he did a fresh install of plastic. Now since he's remote, grabbing the whole repo would take a really long time, especially when he only needs a few files. In perforce, one can just goto the depot view, right click on a file, and sync it. So i figured since he's never updated, switched branches, or anything, he could browse the head revision on the main branch, right click on a file, and run update on that one file to get it, but that doesn't seem possible. What's the proper way to do this?

Thanks,

Lee

If I had to do this, I think I would use the Plastic GUI and then (using either the branch explorer, branches, or changesets view) I would locate the revision I wanted to explore. Right-click on it and select "Browse repository on this label/changeset". In that window you can look at all the files without having them downloaded. Right click on a file and choose "Open" and you can open a file with anything you want. I believe it downloads the file into temp space, but inside the application you are using the view it you should be able to do a Save As... and put it somewhere.

One thing to be cautious of is that you are working with these files outside of a workspace at this point, so keeping track of any changes done to these is going to be impossible obviously.

yea i suppose that could work, but as you said it's kind of a dangerous way to do things, and the steps required to do this are pretty obscure. seems like what i'd really want to do in a situation like this is set my workspace to a specific branch, in this case the main branch, and then browse the repo on the latest revision and then right click and update specific files. then the workspace info could be set and i'd be working within a specific workspace, so things could in theory be easier to track. is that possible in plastic? in perforce, where i'm coming from, this is super easy to do.

Archived