Feature requests

wvd_vegt

Hi,

I would like to propose some new features/improvements:

• As i work in old fashioned checkout/checkin mode i would like to see an option to checkin but checkout again directly after it (so just do a quick update of the repo).
  • Related, it would be nice if you could specify which files should remain writable after a checkin (I have an installer project in a solution and it's not possible to check it out inside VS2010, I had to check it out on the filesystem).
  • In VssConnexxion for Delphi there was an option to specify linked extensions (so if you checked out a *.pas file, the *.dfm with the same filename was also checked out. In C it could be the pair *.c *.h and in C# the complete form consisting of 3 files (*.cs, *.designer.cs and *.resx).
  • In the check-in dialog I would like to see more detailed why a file is different. When moving around workspaces i saw a couple of times that all files in the project where flagged 'changed' but in fact most files where identical (maybe the date was off).
  • Changed to the revision type (in the conf file) do not seem to be applied to existing items.
  • A quick way to remove files from version control (if they where checkin in accidently but should not be deleted).
  • A way to group workspaces in the client (I created a repo and workspace for each of my projects and components and the list is rapidly becoming to long).
  • When a workspace is moved outside the client (I copied it together with the .plastic directory), the clientapp does not pick it up at all after a plastic/refresh in Vs2010 or other operations on the filesystem like a check-in).
  • When a workspace is moved and a new workspace is created on top of it in the client app the workspace name is not taken from the dialog but from the cfg files in the .plastic directory.
  • If a workspace is moved, only the .plastic directory is moved. There is no option to move files with it. The update switches don't see to do any updates so the new workspace is empty and the files still remain in the old directory. Probably by design but not that easy.
  • In the repo tab of the client app it would be nice to see which workspaces belong to a repo.
  • There is no easy way to purge obsoleted *.sdf databases when repo's are deleted. I did quite some test imports and ended up with 50+ *.sdf files of which only 6 where in use. There is also no easy way (other than opening the repository database) to find the link between *.sdf and repo.
  • An option to turn of the toolbar on top with the list of workspaces. With 30+ workspaces it's getting hard to read (each button shows only one letter) and unusable.

Other then above ;-) I am becoming quite happy with plasticSCM and migrated my vss .net projects to it. I'm using the SCM Package btw.

As i work in old fashioned checkout/checkin mode i would like to see an option to checkin but checkout again directly after it (so just do a quick update of the repo).

Actually you don't need to take care of it. If you commit and there is no merge message you are working on the head changeset and you don't need to run an update.

Check this blog post: http://codicesoftwar...date-merge.html

Related, it would be nice if you could specify which files should remain writable after a checkin (I have an installer project in a solution and it's not possible to check it out inside VS2010, I had to check it out on the filesystem)

Maybe a custom after-update trigger?

In VssConnexxion for Delphi there was an option to specify linked extensions (so if you checked out a *.pas file, the *.dfm with the same filename was also checked out. In C it could be the pair *.c *.h and in C# the complete form consisting of 3 files (*.cs, *.designer.cs and *.resx).

I'm lost in this one, I don't know what are you asking

In the check-in dialog I would like to see more detailed why a file is different. When moving around workspaces i saw a couple of times that all files in the project where flagged 'changed' but in fact most files where identical (maybe the date was off)

In the pending changes view you have the "Show diffs" button, you will be able to see the differences of the files, if you get a "The files are identical" message the changed item is changed due to the date.

Changed to the revision type (in the conf file) do not seem to be applied to existing items.

Right, only useful when you are adding new ones. Maybe you can use the custom diff tools rules to manage your extensions.

A quick way to remove files from version control (if they where checkin in accidently but should not be deleted).

I think the delete option is enough, maybe you can explain us what do you need from the delete action.

A way to group workspaces in the client (I created a repo and workspace for each of my projects and components and the list is rapidly becoming to long).

Can you please add it to the user voice system?

When a workspace is moved outside the client (I copied it together with the .plastic directory), the clientapp does not pick it up at all after a plastic/refresh in Vs2010 or other operations on the filesystem like a check-in).

Do you mean that the VS or the client GUI are not able to work?

When a workspace is moved and a new workspace is created on top of it in the client app the workspace name is not taken from the dialog but from the cfg files in the .plastic directory.

Sorry, I don't understand this one.

If a workspace is moved, only the .plastic directory is moved. There is no option to move files with it. The update switches don't see to do any updates so the new workspace is empty and the files still remain in the old directory. Probably by design but not that easy.

Do you mean using the cm chgworkspace command? for exaple, this commands should work:

cm chgworkspace test1@TIZONA c:\tmp\test2
cd c:\tmp\test2
cm update .
The workspace c:\tmp\test2 is up-to-date (cset:7@rep_8@localhost:8084)
Created directory c:\tmp\test2\directory
Created directory c:\tmp\test2\test
Copied c:\tmp\test2\directory\file1.txt

"In the repo tab of the client app it would be nice to see which workspaces belong to a repo."

You can please add it to the user voice system but IMHO I think that's too much information for a tiny space.

"There is no easy way to purge obsoleted *.sdf databases when repo's are deleted. I did quite some test imports and ended up with 50+ *.sdf files of which only 6 where in use. There is also no easy way (other than opening the repository database) to find the link between *.sdf and repo."

Try this:

c:\tmp\test2>cm lrep
8 rep_8 localhost:8084
33 CmdRunnerGitHub localhost:8084
c:\tmp\test2>cm rmrep CmdRunnerGitHub@localhost:8084
c:\tmp\test2>del C:\PlasticSCM\server\rep_33.plastic.sqlite

we never remove repositories just in case a wrong delete rep operation.

"An option to turn of the toolbar on top with the list of workspaces. With 30+ workspaces it's getting hard to read (each button shows only one letter) and unusable."

You are right, we have to add a way to manage the workspaces and the tabs. Can you please add the idea into the user voice system?

Other then above ;-) I am becoming quite happy with plasticSCM and migrated my vss .net projects to it. I'm using the SCM Package btw.

Thanks! We really appreciate this kind of feedback!

Hi

I should have numbered my requests ;-)

1) It's to keep the files readable. Checkin files become read-only in my install. Thats why i asked.

2) Have to look into triggers.

3) In various languages like c# certain files are linked. For instance a c# form is actually composed of 3 files. What i would like is an option (like in my old delphi vssconnexion) to silently check out all three when one of them is check-out (and also check them in together). The orgiin of this feature was (i think) that a Delphi project file could be checked out but would have problems saving because there where a number of linked files woth settings that needed to be writable too in order to save the project file before checking it in.

4) I know but it would be much handier if this where to be reflected in the listview (instead of diffing all files one by one). It would be easier to find the ones that need some attention.

5) Is this by design or should i post a feature request for revision type behavior.

6) I ment make them private again. Delete from disk works (if i copy the file back), but is to clumbsy. Just delete fails on the next checkin with a message about depenencies where you have one choice (and end up with the deleted file being added again).

7) I will

8) I moved the workspace outside client and vs and added the project to vs and used refresh status. When i move the workspace it's removed from the clientapp but the refresh in vs does not add it again in the clientapp. I have to create a new workspace there on top of the new location. Would be nice if the client would pick up new workspaces once accessed in vs (or other tools).

9) If i have workspace called 'tst' and create a new workspace in the clientapp on top of it (for a reason see 8), and enter a new name like 'test.tst', the name of the workspace still is 'tst'. I expected the existing workspace to be renamed to 'test.tst'

10) Yep, I see i have misread some of the commandline help (and saw some switches where they are not there).

11) I will

12) I think its good to never delete databases, but it should be possible to get a list of the active mappings as the numbers do not tell what repo it is inside the client. I had to mount the sdf database and examine a table (bit to complex i think).

13) I will do that in a minute

Hi

Any suggestions of how to deterimine the repository name of a removed/deleted repository database? I noticed that the repositories database and the lrep command only have records of the currently loaded repository databases.

But if i want to restore an old one knowing which one it was might be handy. Is it an idea to add a boolean column 'mounted' to the repository table in the repositories database (so you have record of old ones and can restore them 'more' easily)?

I'm sorry, it's not saved anywhere.

You can add it again by running, for example, a "cm addrep REP_45 LetsSeeWhatsInsidelocalhost:8087" command.

Later, when you are exploring the repository you can figure out a better name and change it.

Archived