Plastic, Unity 4.3+, Bitbucket?

KazeEnji

Hello everyone,

I've been having trouble with the Plastic SCM and Unity integration. I've downloaded the new Plastic SCM v 5 to get the Unity plugin. I've changed Unity to use PlasticSCM and I get 3 errors:

Error waiting for read external process: The pipe has been ended.

Version Control: PlasticSCM: The Unity3D plugin is unlicensed in your Plastic SCM server

Cannot load PlasticSCM overlays when plugin is not running.

So, I think these errors are popping up because I haven't configured my Plastic client yet so here's my question. I'm using bitbucket but the client setup doesn't have an option for using an online repository option. How can I setup my client to go to bitbucket? Or Do I have to point it to a folder on my computer then use another program like SourceTree to actually push it to the repo?

Now, once I get the client configured, will the errors I'm getting in Unity go away?

Some background info, I'm using Unity 4.3 on Windows 8.1.

Thanks ahead of time,

-Kaze-

Hi!

It seems you are using the Plastic SCM community license where the usage of unity is not possible.

You can only use the unity plugin if:

1) You use the trial license (5 users/30Days)

2) You purchase licenses.

Best regards.

Hi,

Yes, the thing is that you purchased the Unity Pro license from Unity and in order to use any version control they force their users to purchase the 'team license'. The only purpose of this license is to enable the connection to a plugin like ours, which is the one we do sell.

We understand the result is expensive for many teams: Unity Pro + Team + Plastic, and as you can see the Plastic part is not the biggest part in the sum. We'd love to have a package together with Unity to have a much lower combined pricing model, but we were unable to make it so far. We don't think the Team license makes a lot of sense anymore now that you won't use the Asset Server but the Plastic plugin, so the price of the Team license should be replaced by the price of a Plastic SCM license for the teams interested in our product, and it shouldn't be required to pay for the intermediate team piece which is not providing much value and costs almost as much as Plastic, a full featured version control system.

Really? That's incredibly disappointing and a little misleading. When I go to the plugin part of Plastic's site, found here:

http://plasticscm.com/unity-plugin.html

And click Download now at the top or bottom of the page, it brings me to the download page with links for the different OS's. Nowhere does it say anything about needing a purchase this license to actually make it work with Unity.

So I actually can't use it for Unity like the page says unless I purchase a Plastic license. Dang, I thought I found a great solution here.

Well thanks for pointing that out.

Hi KazeEnji,

I'm sorry to disappoint you :-(

The thing is that we sell a version control, we make a living out of it, so yes we need to charge for some features. I mean, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to pay $500 to a company just to enable the link and then don't pay to Codice to implement the full Plastic SCM :-)

That being said, we're trying to do our best to come up with a much cheaper solution.

psantosl, 

We've just found out the same problem. Wouldn't even know about it if it weren't for a thread on Unity's forum as our upgrade from Plastic4 to Plastic5 automatically changed out Community License to the 30 days trial without warning... so we started setting up our workflow thinking everything was fine. 

Obviously we now have to come back to the 'old' way of using the Plastic client separately but we won't have the bad surprise weeks from now when everyone has been trained and used to the integrated plugin-way.

May I suggest you add "Unity Plugin Integration" as a row in the perks of buying a license in the http://www.plasticscm.com/pricing.html page? It's definitely not clear the way it's setup now. 

Thanks you.

• 5 months later...

I totally understand the situation regarding Plastic needing to make some money on this integration. I thought I'd explain why I came so close to purchasing the required components from Unity and Plastic but stopped:

With the community edition of Plastic I can have occasional freelancers or production accessing the repository and stay within the 15 users. Now I have two full time developers for which I'd be happy to pay the full Plastic license and start using the plugin etc. But I'd still like to be able to allow 13 lesser users to access the server.

So basically, a plea, please allow us to define a license based on the connected user.

This would convert us from a free user to a paid user and then over time it's likely that the number of users we need full non community license for would increase. Currently it's unlikely to until we need 15 or more users.

About your licensing question, I am sorry the information was not clear to you upfront and thank you for suggesting changes in our web page accordingly, we will improve it promptly. Plastic SCM for Unity (which includes the Unity 3D plugin) has a non-free commercial license.  As you noticed, this is stated when you downloaded Plastic SCM Community Edition (CE), but also, there is information in the Plastic SCM for Unity Edition page and in our licensing page under the CE FAQ. This text is also intended to clarify this topic :

Can I use the Community Edition with Unity 3D Pro for Game Development?

Yes, but there is not integration or plugin available in the standard release of Plastic SCM, including the Community Edition. A special build Plastic SCM for Unity Edition includes a native plugin for Unity 3D Pro; this allows developers to access Plastic SCM functionality within Unity 3D environment. You may use Plastic SCM standard edition, including the Community Edition, with Unity 3D, but changes in the code base will need to be detected using Transparent SCM mode and SCM actions will need to be performed from within the Plastic SCM client.

Currently we do not offer licenses based on “connected users”,​ but I would suggest for you to contact sales at codicesoftware.com directly, so they can evaluate your particular case. Does it makes sense?

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I am a bit slow about this topic ... but could you please clarify two questions for me...

1) Your quote says: "A special build Plastic SCM for Unity Edition includes a native plugin for Unity3D Pro". So the regular download package of Plastic SCM and a paid license + the Plastic SCM Unity plugin from the Asset Store is not enough? I have to make sure I install and update my Plastic software using the special Plastic SCM for Unity Edition package?

2) If I download and install the Plastic SCM for Unity Edition, which "includes a native plugin for Unity3D Pro" - why do I need to purchase the Plastic SCM Unity plugin from the Asset Store in addition? Is there a difference between these two native Unity plugins?

Hi,

I'll try to explain it in a simpler way :-)

1- The free editions of Plastic don't include the Unity Plugin. You need to purchase a paid one.

2- Unity charges you the Team License (their team thing) to let you use OUR plugin. I guess they'll get rid of this soon, but they didn't so far.

Is it clearer now? :-)

Thanks.

pablo

Archived