Folder history

Soho

When I right-click a folder in the items explorer and choose history I see a lot of changesets.

What qualifies a changeset to be included in the history of a folder?

I ask because, when diffing one of those changesets in the history view, I just get an empty list of changes (and Plastic throws an exception if I click the navigate buttons).

As a user there are several reasons for wanting a folder history:

1. To view all changesets with added, removed or renamed files and folders (like in Plastic 3).

2. To view all changesets with added, removed, renamed or CHANGED files.

3. To view all changesets with added, removed, renamed or changed files and folders in any subdir under the selected folder (this is how TFS shows folder history).

When clicking diff to a changeset in the history I would expect to see all changes in respect to one of the above behaviors.

I suspect that Plastic is doing behavior 3, but the changeset view is of little use when it does not reflect the qualification for being in the history. I even tried to show the diff between the first and last folder changeset for a folder that I know has a lot of changes, but the diff shows nothing and crashes if I click the navigation buttons.

A very common usecase for is something like:

Which changesets contain changes to any file or folder in the selected folder or any subfolder?

Between these changesets, which files or folders have changed in any subfolder?

These questions are easily answered by TFS folder history. The Plastic folder history is of little to no use.

Archived