Moving operating in VS became an Delete and Add Operation

cidico

Hi!

I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but I'm doing some refactoring in my pet project and sometimes I need to perform a Move Operation (cut a file from one folder and paste at another) and it's kinda wierd because the client GUI sometimes says that it's a Move Operation and others it became a Delete from source and an Add to destination.

I'm really trying to find a "path" to reproduce the problem, but it's really hard to... It seems to be completely aleatory.

Anyone else noticed this behavior ?

I'm using the latest version available (as always! :))

C:\Users\cidico>cm version

Hello cidico!

I think it depends on the file size and type. It will be, almost, always a move operation with text files but for binaries if the file is very small the differences can't be calculated correctly so it's recognized as a Delete + Add.

Can you tell us if the files are big enough? Number of lines for example.

Hello Manu!

Well, I actually noticed this when moving Source Files (.cs, .cshtml, .js, .css and so on...).

I don't have a lot of binary files added. Actually, there are very few of them.

The files were not that big, I think that the average line number would between 100 and 200 lines.

mmmmm 100 lines is big enough....

The next time you notice this behavior please keep a copy of the file and send it to us, we will try to reproduce the issue, I can also connect with you to review if we can get more info.

Ok!

The file itself has about 100 lines, but the changes made on it are 5 to 10 max. (Changes normally are namespaces changing, change parameters at constructor, using clauses...)

My refactoring will take some time to end! I think that we'll have change to see that happening again! :)

Archived