Name Conflict vs Evil Twin

WDNichols

Are "Name Conflict" and "Evil Twin" the same thing?

I have found a number of files in our repository that have names like "(name_conflict)_ABC". In each case, there is another file in the same folder of the repository named "ABC" (in this example). I do not recall when the file "(name_conflict)_ABC" was created, but I have concluded that it was caused by adding the same file name ("ABC" in this case) to the same folder on two different branches of the repository, then attempting to merge them.

In fact, I am certain that when I created the repository early in my use of Plastic, I incorrectly populated it by creating an OLD branch off the main branch for an older version, then ADDED the old file versions to the OLD branch, and simultaneously ADDED the new file versions to the main branch. When subsequent changes were made to the OLD branch, and then merged to the main branch, that is when I believe the (name_conflict) files (like "(name_conflict)_ABC") were created.

If I intentionally create a name conflict like this:

- create a TEST branch off the main branch,

- create a file "Test B.txt" on the main branch

- create a file "Test B.txt" on the TEST branch

- then merge the end of the TEST branch to the main branch

I get an evil twin conflict error. When I click Choose... to resolve the conflict, the default option is Keep both changes, renaming the destination to "Test B_dst.txt". If I accept the default, Process all merges, and Checkin Pending changes, the result is similar to the "(name_conflict)" issue described above, except instead of an extra file named "(name_conflict)_ABC", I have an extra file named "ABC_dst" (or "Test B_dst.txt", in this case).

I have never explicitly renamed a file using "(name_conflict)", nor do I think anyone else here has done so.

Are the "(name_conflict)_" file (and folder) names the result of default evil twin conflict resolution in an earlier version of plastic?

Is there a mechanism I can use to merge the conflicting files, so that the history of each is preserved in the new single file? 

Or is my only option to delete one and, perhaps, rename the other? Doing this means that the deleted files history is NOT part of the retained file.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Bill.

Hi,  add a file with the same name in the same location is a good example of an evil twin. Plastic offers you 3 possibilities to resolve the conflict:

- Keep both changes, renaming destination,

- Keep the move done on the source (discarding move on destination)

- Keep the move done on destination (discarding the move on source)

If you don´t want to discard any file, you should choose the first option and rename one of the files

We have created a web explaining how Plastic handles the conflicts, you can check twin evil:  http://plasticscm.com/mergemachine/index.html

Best regards,

Carlos

Archived