SyncView is broken for my installation - how can I fix it?

Gerard Murphy

Hi,

I'm using Plastic SCM 4.2.34.448 - Taipei on Windows 7 running within Virtual Box hosted on OSX Lion. Both the client and server run within Virtual Box.

I use the default embedded SQL backend, not the full SQL server.

I also have an additional client and server running externally under OSX.

For reasons that have nothing to do with Plastic SCM (Virtual Box instability), every two or three days my computer locks up of its own accord right across the board - Virtual Box and the host OSX - the only way out is to power down forcibly.

Unfortunately, the last time this happened was while I was doing a replication operation, pushing changes over to a mirror Plastic SCM repository on the OSX side - I use this both as a backup and as a route for migrating my work to OSX - hosted development.

Since then, any attempt to use the 'Sync Replication' view in the GUI results in a pop-up dialog stating "Invalid or corrupt data in SyncViewDataStore file". This is when I use Plastic in Virtual Box, talking to the repository in Virtual Box, not the mirror under OSX.

I have in turn:-

1. Deleted the workspace (and the actual directory, not just 'cm rmwk').

2. Deleted the repository.

3. Reinstalled Plastic SCM, keeping the old settings.

4. Uninstalled Plastic SCM, deleted all the files under 'C:\Program Files\....' for the Plastic installation and reinstalled from scratch.

5. Rebooted Virtual Box and retried 4.

6. Rebooted OSX and Virtual Box and retried 4.

Despite that, I'm still getting the same error.

I notice that I can set up a sync replication session on the OSX side and push across to the Virtual Box repository - but:-

a) I want to be able to do this from the Virtual Box side.

b ) I have some multiple-headed legacy branches that I don't want to merge heads on - these can't be pushed from OSX, but they can be pulled by Virtual Box.

c) I'm worried that my Virtual Box Plastic SCM setup is damaged and may cause more problems later.

What can I do to sort this error out?

Is there a repair utility? (Re/Un)installation doesn't fix this problem.

Is there some location external to the Plastic installation directory where this SyncViewDataStore is being held? - I assumed the database storage was in the Plastic installation tree, but evidently this is not the case.

Thanks in advance,

Gerard

An update that might be useful to other people - I've seen a post before where someone asked about replicating a branch with multiple unmerged heads.

AFAICT, Plastic will happily pull a branch with multiple heads, but will not push such a branch.

So I can workaround point b ) in the previous post by setting up a reverse sync on the OSX side - so the source repository is the remote one (Virtual Box), and the target repository is the local one (OSX). I can then tell the source to pull from the  target, even though my Plastic SCM client and server are both running on OSX. Quite neat!

I've still got a broken sync view on Virtual Box, so help would still be appreciated - but at least I'm limping along now. :-)

Hi Gerard, your virtual vox is Windows, right?

Please can you try to delete "C:\Users\carlos\AppData\Local\plastic4" folder. Some replication files are and maybe they´re corrupted. If you deleted and installed Plastic, SyncView should work unless you have corrupted files in this folder.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived