Can I change the workspace path?

zxw55

I've been using 4.1.10.372 - Brighton as a hermit developer on a single workspace for about a year now and recently had to refactor my PC drives and network mapping. The drives on my PC have changed and I would like to change the location of the workspace path. I searched the knowledge base and the forum and didn't see any posts on this subject, but perhaps I'm not searching for the correct terms. Anyhow, I would like to keep the current changeset history but redirect the workspace path. For example:

from - F:\MyApps

to - G:\Network\MyApplications

Thanks -

Thanks I'm getting closer but need more help because that didn't appear to work.

I had copied all of my files onto a NAS device and mapped it back to my PC. So I copied "F:\Personal_Apps" (the workspace path) to "M:\Personal Applications".

By your note I used the cm:

> cm cwk "Personal Apps" "M:\Personal Applications"

and got the following message:

>The workspace Personal Apps (m:\Personal Applications) already exists.

If I open the control window I see it is still set to F:\Personal_Apps. Perhaps I didn't understand. Maybe there Is there a better procedure for moving a workspace?

Thanks for your help

:S I think you also copied the hidden .plastic directory located in the root path of your workspace. Remove it and run again the command.

Tell me if it works.

If it doesn't you can do the following:

> cd oldWorkspacePath

> Backup the hidden .plastic dir into .BakPlastic

> cm rmwk .

> cd newWorkspacePath

> cm mkwk WksName .

> cp oldWorkspacePath\.BakPlastic\plastic.selector .plastic

> cm update .

• 1 month later...

I know it has been awhile, I've been distracted by other non-software projects. Anyhow, this did not seem to work. It appeard to migrate but I couldn't see my branches even though the files were in source control. A diff from previous would fail. Things just seemed whacky to me.

Anyhow, I ended up uninstalling PlasticSCM and reinstalling it and setting the path to the new network service. That was probably too drastic but everything is running now. I lost my labeled releases but it was not a big issue.

I guess a useful tool might be some kind of migration tool that allows for easy movement of workspaces across network drives.

Anyhow - thanks for making an effort to help, it was probably me that got things broken.

Hi,

If the issue happens again we can review it.

But one thing, you don´t need to unistall and install Plastic again. If you are having problems with a workspace for any reason, you can just create a new workspace poiting to the same repository. And if you need to reconfigure the client, you can run (plastic --configure).

Regards,

Carlos

• 3 years later...

Archived