Multiple Projects / Repositories and Xlinks

tdemeza

Okay, I really need some help.  We are trying to get plastic configured so that we can efficiently reuse dependencies across multiple projects.  Everything we try seems to be flat out inefficient.  But I hope we are doing it wrong.   

We tried putting everything into a single repository.  This worked the best but ridiculous and unable to control permissions to each project.  Everyone got everything and on the first time, you needed a 500MB download to get all projects etc. 

We then tried what we believe was best practice according to a sales rep, however... This leaves a lot to be desired as well.  Here is that scenario in it's simplest form.

We have checked in a single app, and a single dll.  Each of them in their own repository. 

1. PlasticApp
  2. PlasticDLL

We created a workspace on disk for each.  Then we created an XLink between PlasticApp and PlasticDLL.  This showed the PlasticDLL under the PlasticAPP, and we had PlasticDLL also in it’s working (Workspace) folder on disk.

So far so good. 

We then when to hard disk and deleted the two directories PLasticAPP and PlasticDLL.  We did this in order to simulate a new developer and/or hard drive crash and getting the projects from scratch.  We then recreated the Workspace for PlasticApp, and issued the Update command and got all the source code for the App.  I would have assumed the XLink would have brought down the dependency as well.  We have some HUGE projects that would seem to make this process too painful.  Why aren’t the Xlinks stored on the server and the projects linked from there?  This would make everything easier.  We would have to store all the linking information separately somewhere… This just seems ineffective.  Can you tell us if we are doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance! 

Hi,

If you have multiple projects, Xlinks are the best solution.  You can store each project in a repository and then using Xlinks.

In your example (if I understand fine):

PlasticApp

|__________AppFolders

|__________XlinkToPlasticDLLrepository

- If you create a new workspace or delete the folders or switch to another disk...and then perform an update operation you will get all the PlasticApp content (including AppFolders and XlinkToPlasticDLLrepository)

- Xlinks are created at repository level.

Regards,

Carlos

Archived