Plastic Cloud is currently unusable for my team. It's not possible to have multiple people pulling/pushing to the cloud server simultaneously

applenaut

We're currently evaluating the Team Edition for a small team. Everything was going well until my colleague and I had both made changes to different files. These files were checked out and do not conflict with each other.

One colleague submitted their changes while another was working on their checked out file. When the later colleague was ready to push out their changes, they were unable to due to the fact that Plastic Cloud does not offer merging abilities and that he was out of sync with the cloud repo. When he tried to download the latest from the cloud repo, he was unable to as well. 

In both cases, he received the error message: 

The merge is not currently available in the cloud server

This lead me to this article with somebody having the same issue: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/administration/plastic-scm-version-control-administrator-guide.shtml#Serverconfiguration

The solution was posted by a community member which was:

• Instead of using the cloud server as the main server and pulling to a local server when you need to merge, just use the local server as the one you work in so you can merge freely with ease. 
  • Then, instead of doing replication>pull/push manually for each branch to sync with the cloud, like the guide suggests, set up a sync view and it's just a single button press to keep all branches synced. 

This wasn't the best approach as it effectively negates the feature of checkout'ing a file and locking the file when someone is working on it.

Everything about Plastic is fantastic and I'm liking it far more than Perforce except for this seemingly crucial necessity of co-working on files simultaneously on Plastic Cloud. Why is it so difficult to do this with Plastic Cloud?

If anyone has figured out a work around, please let me know. The docs aren't helping as their solution seems convoluted.

Thanks 

Hi!

I think you should rename the title of this thread, I think you are not pushing and pulling information from/to the cloud, you are trying to checkin to the cloud and if you take a look into this: https://www.plasticscm.com/cloud/index.html You'll see there're two ways of working with the cloud.

1) Direct checkin (The one I think you are trying to use): Designed for Gluon as gluon is not able to branch and merge.

2) Pull/Push: Designed for Plastic/MacPlastic/GtkPlastic, is able to merge and branch using a local repository, not the cloud one.

The merge operation in the Plastic SCM cloud is currently not supported, it will be in a near future (weeks).

Please tell me if you need help with the pull push workflow, we have info about it here: https://www.plasticscm.com/documentation/distributed/plastic-scm-version-control-distributed-guide.shtml and here: http://blog.plasticscm.com/2011/08/this-is-how-i-use-synch-view.html I'll be happy to help you.

We are in fact checking into our own respective local repos. For checking into and locking files, is this only possible when multiple users use the same (local) repo? If this is the case and we have to set up a local repo, what is the point of using the cloud repo? Only for redundancy?

If it helps, my staff and I work remotely. We are not on the same network.

Hello Applenaut,

in that case you are not facing the "The merge is not currently available in the cloud server" message anymore, right?

14 hours ago, applenaut said:

For checking into and locking files, is this only possible when multiple users use the same (local) repo?

Yes, you are right, you can only ensure the file is being locked when all the developers are working with the same repository, although we'll work in the future to support distributed lock mechanism.

14 hours ago, applenaut said:

If this is the case and we have to set up a local repo, what is the point of using the cloud repo? Only for redundancy?

Not only redundancy but also for combining changes, like a hub to put everything in common.

Thanks for the replies back.

This is unfortunate. I was hoping we could simply use Plastic Cloud for our purposes without having a local repo that remove staff will have to connect to. 

For a small studio like ours, Plastic Cloud doesn't offer the solution we're looking for. We need a hosted way of having a repo that everyone can connect directly to. We do not have the resources to have a private repo.

Anyways, thanks again.

Archived