cm find xml output not putting out XML-standard date format - changed behaviour?

wnicholls

Sorry I don't have time to investigate this, but my tool which I swear worked last month has broke this month.

Take this command:    cm find changeset where date ">=" '2017/10/01' --xml

Actual output today  (build 6.0.16.1723):

<CHANGESET>
    <ID>5346</ID>
    <CHANGESETID>268</CHANGESETID>
    <COMMENT>yada yada yada</COMMENT>
    <DATE>11/10/2017 5:20:08 PM</DATE>
    <OWNER>walter</OWNER>

Expected:    ISO-standard dates, ie

<DATE>2017/10/11T17:20:08</DATE> 

I'm sure the previous version I had installed produced something like this.

I'm pushing this through an XSLT transform to the get the output I want. XLST 1.0 (stuck with it) has problems with dates anyway,  Needless to say, a localised time format like this with AM/PM issues is a nightmare.

Sorry for terseness, I'm serious about not having time to investigate this - seems pretty obvious though. Not what I need to be doing -  aaargh!!!!!!! <s>

Hello @wnicholls,

I'm not aware of changes at the default date format, I'm wondering if the os has something to do here.

Anyway, in order to avoid this kind of issues I recommend to use a custom date filter, you can do it like this:

cm find changeset "where date >= '2017/10/01 00:00'" --dateformat="yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm" --xml

Hope it helps!

It's possible that a .NET framework patch could have affected this. Hard for me to check unless I can find one of the old temp files my reporting tool used. I may have just got mixed up XSLT too.  Because your tools are inconsistent:

cm find changeset produces all XML element names in <UPPERCASE>  and the aforementioned formatted date/time strings.

cm hist on the other hand produces  ProperCase element names and ISO times eg   <CreationDate>2015-09-20T17:59:04.0000000+12:00</CreationDate>

My little reporting tool started out with cm hist and tried cm find changeset only last month (mostly, because there is no way to put a date filter on cm hist query; but also because it was changesets I actually wanted to report on)

It would now break existing consumers of the XML (exactly like mine)  but I think exporting dates in XML as ISO-8601 compliant strings is definitely best practice and so is consistency. HOWEVER, good luck agreeing what is best practice with timezones.

Incidentally I found that using --dateformat it was very fussy about the input format.  Even/especially --dateformat="s"  which ought be exactly what I want:

> cm find changeset where "date > '2017-10-01'" --dateformat="s" --xml
The value '2017-10-01' is not valid for field 'date' on query "find changeset where date > '2017-10-01'". The field 'date' type is 'date'.

> cm find changeset where "date > '2017-10-01T00:00:00'" --dateformat="s" --xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<PLASTICQUERY>
	... etc etc - ie ok ...

Without the dateformat specifier, I never thought twice about it, and it seems to accept everything from 2017-10-01  1/10/2017 and even '1 Oct' (although '1st Oct' foiled it)  So I've swapped one pain for another - fussy user INPUT!

Same behaviour Linux and Windows.   Although with Linux the default output format was, as expected different eg   <DATE>25/10/2017 4:47:55 p.m.</DATE>

Archived