Linux Server - Too many open files

McSime

Hi there,

I've got a critical issue with my Linux server : "Too many open files"

I think this error is related to Jet, as I've never got this issue with Plastic 5 / MySQL.

I've got this issue clicky after the server installation as the open files limit was at 1024. I've changed it to 65536, it worked for 2 weeks., But here I am again...

Did I miss anything wih the server setup ?

@manu This is an urgent topic, could you please save my life once again ? :)

Thank you very much,

McSime

Hello @McSime,

the " Too many open files " error is indeed related with the number of file descriptors used by a process, in this case the server might be the one using a lot of them.

I know you already did it but double check you changed the default number system wide: https://easyengine.io/tutorials/linux/increase-open-files-limit/

Can you check how many file descriptor is the server service is having? https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-procfs-file-descriptors.html

You might see two processes:

codice@ubuntu:~$ sudo ps -fA | grep plasticd
root       6843   3674  0 Dec10 ?        00:00:00 sudo -u plasticscm -b -n /opt/plasticscm5/server/plasticd --daemon
plastic+   6845   6843  0 Dec10 ?        00:04:47 plasticd /opt/plasticscm5/server/plasticd.exe --daemon

Please check it for both.

A few more questions:

1) How many repositories do you have?

2) Can you share with us your jet.conf file? I would like to know if the high performance mode is enabled.

The immediate solution is increasing, even more, the file descriptors limit once again.

Hi @manu,

Thanks for the answer.

Indeed, I've checked those topics. And it seems the limits.conf doesn't affect deamons, as I set it up to 65k for everyone and the process limits are good...

I figured it out by adding "ulimit -n 65536" in /etc/default/<DAEMON>, and it works fine now...

About FD for bot hprocess :

• plasticd /opt/plasticscm5/server/plasticd.exe --daemon => 1207
  • sudo -u plasticscm -b -n /opt/plasticscm5/server/plasticd --daemon => 9

Please find the answer to the 2 questions :

1. A looot : 96 repositories in total
  2. jet.conf below :
basepath=/data/plasticscm/jet
prefix=
suffix=
maxcachedtrees=50
datafilesize=4

Thanks for help !